Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Y60 TD42 manual transmission.

A few weeks .... after filing up at the fuel station I went to start my Y60 .... but it would'nt start, just a "clunk" noise. The ignition lights were dim (not bright as normal) I checked the battery terminals if they had become loose but were ok, tried jump starting with another vehicle but but still nothing, just the "clunk" ignition lights were still dim even with booster cables from another vehicle. Pushed it down the road and it bump started....drove 200 miles, switched off and it started fine for a few days, the ignition lights were bright as normal.

Got in to it this morning and the ignition lghts were dim again, tried starting and just a "clunk", tried booster cables from another vehicles but still dim ignition lights and only a "clunk" when tried to start it.

I noticed that only 1 ignition light was lit dim at first, then after few seconds I can hear a relay click and the ignition lights go bright, if I try to start it then all I get is the "clunk", switch off ignition and the same sequence is repeated, dim ignition light then I can hear a relay click (glow plug relay maybe ?!) then ignition lights are bright but just a clunk when I turn the key to start it.

I have cleaned out the battery terminals, checked and cleaned the ground to the engine. Cannot find any obvious blown fuses.

The thing that I don't get at all is that even with booster cables from a running vehicle the ignition lights are still dim.

Please help / advise.

Thanks in advance.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
bad connection somewhere , earth or power lead, seeing as your battery terminals were loose look at them first

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
If you are jumpstarting directly to the battery with no luck try jumpstarting directly on the engine and to the startermotor (if possible), this will tell you if you have a bad connection somewhere.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
mate,sounds like your battery has dropped a cell.if you have a multimeter check that your battery is holding over 12.5 volts if not then that will be your problem.if you drove and it was charging then thats what it will be.i would go down to super **** and get a cheap multimeter check that and if you can get it running then also check on the back of the alternator that it's putting out 14v

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Double check the connections at the alternator, mine recently dropped the nut off the earth and i experienced very similar.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery terminals are clean and tight. Even if the battery had a dead cell it should still start with a jump start...no?

I am only getting a very dim battery light now when ignition is on, no other lights and no start even with booster cables. I swapped the battery with my other Y60 TD42 which has no problem starting with either battery.

I am going to check the earth on the alternator.

Could the ignition switch have died? how can I check the ignition switch?

I thought of swapping thwe ignition switch from my other Y60 but the bolts golding the switch on to the steering column have no screw or bolt heats to remove......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looked around the engine bay, the alternator wires are tight.

Only a dim battery light on ignition, when the key is turned to on position I hear a relay clicking next to the battery, key turned to start position I hear a relay click again next to the battery. But the starter does not turn.

I tried turning the starter with a screw driver to connect the starter terminals .... and the starter turns the engine fine normal sound, engine keeps turning but will not start. (I know if I pulled it down the road with my other car it will "bump" start)

Once all the ignition lights came on bright - as they should, this happened as I disconnected the glow plug cable ontop of the engine, tried to start again but same clicking relay next to the battery nothing else, after this only the dim battery light on ignition, I tried pulling the glow plug again but only the dim battery light.

Anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Is the ignition switch ok? as it clicks a relay when turned to on position so I guess the switch is ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive had a smiliar problem with mine it turned out the contacts betwenn the starter and solnoid were rusted to the ****house and the relay for the starter was ****ed as well

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Ill go with benny on this one
The battery sheza shagged
Diesels take ALOT of battery crankin power
Take a half dead battery from a diesel and itll usually start a petrol car
Even jump startin,doesnt mean a thing
With mention of jumping, drivin for a while,can still point to battery
Loose clamps the alternators sending back the charge but the battery cant accept the charge
Charge the battery with a battery charger for a night or two
Then use a voltmeter to check reading
If the reading drops ,even a little, and continually drops
Ya battery is stuffed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had this problem about a year ago turned out to be dirty terminals on the starter motor, cleaned them all up and did them up tight and havent had a problem since

·
Registered
Nissan
2,121 Posts
I'll go with the majority - sounds like stuffed battery or poor connections.

The 'clicking' you hear could be the glow plug circuit - with a stuffed battery the glowplugs will suck whatever charge there is and the ignition lights will go dull. As the glowplugs warm up, you'll hear the relay clicking again and lights will get a bit brighter.

Jump starting a diesel needs some pretty decent jumper leads and very good battery on the other vehicle because, as others have pointed out, diesels suck a lot of battery power when starting.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seems like most of you are just guessing at a faulty battery - as already stated I have swapped the battery with my other y60 td42 which starts instantly on either battery, plus I have directly connected the starter terminals and the engine turns over just fine.

Rusty starter terminals or faulty starter relay ..... now that sounds like a probable cause, i will look into it.
Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by the way I have heavy duty booster cables and use a LC hdj80 with twin diesel batteries for jump starting.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
I say poss ignition switch specially if uhad key on and u bridged starter and had it cranking it should have started switch may not be getting power to fuel cut solenoid at pump so check power supply to fuel stop solenoid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to bring this back but I was busy and didn't bother fixing the patrol as have other vehicles....
but I love my Y60 and would like it back in action again.

Swapped batteries, tried jump leads from a a running Landcruiser, checked fuses, cleaned battery terminals.... but still no ignition lights except a very very dim battery light....really very dim.

Turning the key only produces a single clonk (relay) noise, the engine makes no effort to turn.

Connecting the starter terminals directly turns the engine but it does not start.

Another y60 td42 is parked right next to it so I could swap any identified parts to check.... but which ones? (yes this one started first turn of the key after 6 weeks no problem)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixed!

FIXED!

The problem was due to a rusty / loose connector plug right next to the + positive terminal on the battery. Its a plastic plug connector with a relatively thick white colour wire.
Cleaned/repaired the connector its all back to life again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts