Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Y61 GUIV suspension lift - help needed

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  grzes 
#1 ·
Hello,
It's my second try, first post was gone - I don't know where :roll:
I'm from Poland. I own two Nissans - Terrano II (already modified) and Patrol GU IV 3,0Di with AT.
I'm starting to make some changes so I have few questions about the suspension:

- I was fighting with myself which lift is better 2inch or 3inch, at the moment I thhink for me better is 2inch, it's cheaper, easier to make, teh only advantage of 3inch is great look. Am I right what do You think about it ?

- the tyres I want 33's, because I don't want to lose too much power, and I don't want to change diff ratio.

there are few brands in Poland I can buy - all are australian :)
OME
Dobinsons
Terrain Tamer

Can you give me opinion about them ?
First two are almost at the same price, Terrain Tamer is a little bit more expensive, but there is all stuff to make good lift: steering dumper, and castor kit.

Do I need to change castor kit ?
What about panhard rod ?

That's all questions for now.

Thank You in advance for answering it will be great help for me...

See less See more
#5 ·
I have a 2005 guiv with a three inch lift i used Dobisons springs and shocks and it's been a great combo,yes you will need to do a 3degree caster kit,front and rear adjustable panhard rods,extended brake lines.A lift of this hieght will also affect the rear brake bias there is a section on how to fix this on this forum so look it up.I also run 33 inch mickey thompson mtz's and they just fit up inside the guards on full travel.You will notice a bit of a difference with the larger tyre's in regards to power but hey the 3l was never a powerhouse anyway.

Hope this helps .

Dazza

#6 ·
I have a 3" OME lift on my GU IV and think it is fantastic. OME is a class leader mate, 2" or 3" you will not have a drama with OME. Not sure what Terrain Tamer are selling you? Not known for their suspension here rather their service parts are a good thing.

If you dont need the extra height then the 2' will serve you well mate without the hassle of figuring everything else out. Its a straight bolt up and drive away.

You have not really told us what kind of driving you want to do but for the average tourer the 2" will sort you out for sure.

Good luck mate.

#7 ·
I use my car for everyday driving and medium terrain. So I think that 2" should be enough. And 33 probably STT. I don't need extra high, just extra load for holiday trips around Europe.
The best price I can have is Dobinsons. Now it's getting more popular in Poland.
Terrain Tamer is new, and there are no opinions about it.
So I will put castor kit also but from OME, it's much cheaper than Dobinsons.
And also I will lower the stabi fixing there is a kit form OME to disconnected stabi.

BTW. In my Terrano II I have 2' lift from german Trailmaster and it's enough for my type of driving.

Thank You for your answers :)

PS> Few photos of my Terrano.
From Romania:

From Pyrenees (France)

#8 ·
Welcome to P4x4!

I have OME 2" lift and 33" Cooper STTs. Love them both, the thing with the OME lift is that it is rated according to the load you expect to carry - mine are the mid-level so I can load quite a few hundred kg into and on it and get very little sag at all. This pic shows us with full camping gear and provisions including 50 litres of water for two adults and three young kids for a week on Fraser Island, still sits level, just a little lower.

Unladen, it is firm, but that means it handles well :)

You would go the heaviest OME rating for a steel rear bar, dual spares, long range tank etc. Medium is fine for a medium-level touring wagon like mine, and yours by the sound of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.