Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time lurker of this forum, and an avid fan of the Patrol鈥檚 having grown up here in UAE. Finally put down the deposit for a new Y61 SS from the dealership.

Just a few questions for my neighbors here, is this a good buy for someone who drives 150kms daily on road and a little bit of fun off-road on the weekends.

Been driving my friend鈥檚 Patrol SS on the highway here, and feel that this car doesn鈥檛 sit as comfortably at 140 kmph, as some of my other older cars. Probably just his car, but it felt like the suspension is too wobbly at high speed. (Keep in mind I鈥檓 coming from a Range Rover Sport, with suspension as stiff as they come)

Also feel there is a lot of wind noise against the windshield at that speed - is this normal or was it just a windy day.

Is there anything else that I should be aware or should consider before I head back to the dealership and confirm my purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Hi Mate, going to move you to the welcome section, so, welcome to our forum, are you still able to buy a new Y61 where you are? they haven't been available here for a few years. Depending on how much hard work your mates Y61 has done, the Y61 is susceptible to steering wobbles caused by the usual suspects.

Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
Long time lurker of this forum, and an avid fan of the Patrol鈥檚 having grown up here in UAE. Finally put down the deposit for a new Y61 SS from the dealership.

Just a few questions for my neighbors here, is this a good buy for someone who drives 150kms daily on road and a little bit of fun off-road on the weekends.

Been driving my friend鈥檚 Patrol SS on the highway here, and feel that this car doesn鈥檛 sit as comfortably at 140 kmph, as some of my other older cars. Probably just his car, but it felt like the suspension is too wobbly at high speed. (Keep in mind I鈥檓 coming from a Range Rover Sport, with suspension as stiff as they come)

Also feel there is a lot of wind noise against the windshield at that speed - is this normal or was it just a windy day.

Is there anything else that I should be aware or should consider before I head back to the dealership and confirm my purchase. Any help would be appreciated.
Remember Y61 was first launched in 1997. It's a 24-year old design. It's never going to be as good as a Range Rover Sport on road and it's an old school brick so at 140km/h it's going to sound like one. Most of us on here don't really care much about windnoise at that speed because a. you'll lose your car of you get caught at that speed in AUS and b. most of our diesel Y61's can barely hold 110km/h.

It will however, kick a Rangie's ar$e off road because that's what it was primarily designed for. A Y61 is much closer to an old school Defender than a RRS.

You need to think carefully about what you want to do with it. I don't think 150km a day is an issue in a Y61, if you can live with the TB48's appetite for fuel at 140km/h.

Registered
1997 GQ TB48, 2005 GU TB48
Thanks for moving me in the right place, my first time.

Yes, here in the UAE you can buy a new Y61 both the 3 door and the 5 door versions
The patrol can hold speed with no problems, I used to go to AbuDhabi and it easily holds 160km and 140km in Dubai. Though, the newer models I believe are tuned a little richer which is a downside. A tune would help you with holding speed comfortably and increase fuel efficiency, but choose a good tuner. If it鈥檚 a manual you won鈥檛 have any issues as it revs so high. 150km a day means that you鈥檒l go through a lot of fuel very quickly. I find that a full 95L tank goes about 450km, so you have to keep that in mind. Being a new car, it will be very stable on the road.

Registered
Nissan LWB Y61 2016 Dynotune 2鈥 Radflo 4+
Tend to agree with Naif. Bought a new 2016 Y61 which I still have. Stock suspension is slightly soft. Now have 2鈥漧ift kings springs with radflo shocks which improves handling. Also have a dynotune and AFe cold air intake which improves acceleration- fuel consumption is quite poor but if you are after good fuel consumption buy a Honda Accord.

Registered
2015 Y61 LWB 4.8L Auto Patrol
my best suggestion for you is to get stabilizer bars/shocks. King has some that are offered in the UAE. Check out Titan Performance as they usually have them in stock. Also, do not go for any "fuel economy" tunes as all they do is lean out your engine, and you will come back to them in 6 months when you have holes in your pistons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts