Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there and best wishes for Christmas.

I have to replace the 2.8 TD in the Patrol. I was wondering if I could just drop something else in? Maybe a more modern engine (from a navara perhaps?)

Any help/advice appreciated.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Frosty1970 said:
First thing - How much do want to spend and how much can you do yourself???
Yep budget is your first thing to work out. if your payin to get it done, it can be very costly, and *usually* it costs ****loads more than you expect and get quoted.

What engines are available in the UK? What emissions laws do you have? What are you allowed to put in? Any UK rules that may say you cant put a 6ltr petrol engine in it?

If your after the cheapest solution, a rebuilt 2.8 would come close.

Have a search, theres probably 500 threads on engine swaps.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
^^^What he said^^^

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, I'll take a look at the various threads. I'm on a very tight budget and will be looking for a quick job. It will be done by others so I'm guessing not cheap. Looks like a recon 2.8 it is then... Thanks for the replies.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
So what's up with the RD ? Be aware that they are not cheap to work on - loads of Nissan specific bits that cost a lot. Problem is same as in another thread running at the moment - the Y61 is too new to fit an older TD42 into (emission laws), and the newer TD42Ti s are not available in the UK, so you're a bit stuck to the RD28. Still if you want to risk it a TD42 conversion is the way to go - or maybe a yank V8 or some sorts ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 2.8
48 Posts
emissions laws are not present in the UK. all that may be required is an SVA test to ensure that the engine is safely installed etc. I have transplanted many engines from older into newer vehicles in the uk and i never get a problem in the mot test. DVLA just requires the new engine number and displacement cc value. You may be asked to get an engineers report - i.e a letter from MOT garage to confirm the engine is as described and fitted appropriately.

Basically you can fit what you like. the easiest option i see is to buy in an old rotten patrol 260 2.8 y60 model. Out the engine and fit it to the y61.

Alternatively buy a 4.2 y60 model and swap the engine and gearbox assembly and have a bulletproof combination with the same performance of the 2.8 but a little more low down torque.

The 2.8 is unaffected by emissions taxation in the UK as it is on the >1600cc tax band.. therefore just stick in what you like.

This is an ideal opportunity if you have deepish pockets to v8 diesel it. but its entirely up to you. I know a good guy in surrey that has a couple of good y61 2.8 engines for sale around the £800 mark just to straight swap.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happened to is that I bought it and after 800 miles of light use, the new cambelt (but apparently old kit around it) was thrown off when I was doing 70mph on the M25, resulting in total destruction of the internals and the turbo. The trader I bought it from doesn't want to know but that is an ongoing situation.

It has been off the road since Oct as I haven't had the cash to do anything with it. jjcymru, I'm in Hampshire and would be very interested in talking to your man with the engines. I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

Cheers

Loobs

·
Registered
87 Posts
May first things first I must say I feel for ya mate 2 months ago while on Fraser my timing belt was destroyed when a bolt pulled itself and the threads out and then got caught in the belt. Instill manage to drive with the belt destroyed and all the exhaust valves touching. I handshake thrower three weeks and about two and a half grand rebuilding it myself. If I can I would like to offer some advice and opinions. About 12 months ago I replaced the head because I bought it with a cracked head. At about 200 k the heads due to the water jacket in five and six. Mate if u pulled ur head off u will probably find just had bent valves. But depending on the kays ur prolly better off buying a brand new aftermarket head not genuine they still have the problem so I have been told. Getting it set up and sticking with ur head it will set u up for a long time then

Just my 2c

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers mate, unfortunately it has totally detonated, cracked camshaft, bits of valves in pistons, debris scratching the side of the cylinders, debris in the turbo, not a pretty sight. Hopefully I will have a second hand engine in the next week or so. I'm fed up with not having a motor, esp. given the weather we have been having.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts