Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'd like to start this thread regarding this issue I ran into it, and to have this documented till the and how we'll sort it out.
My Patrol is an Y61 ZD30 engine from 2001

So the symptoms are the following: In the morning outside temperature around 3-4 degrees, first thing when I try to fire up the engine it takes about 15-20 seconds till it stars, and it blows a little white smoke of the exhaust pipe. After this all day long it stars easy and with no problem.

Till now I've checked the glow plugs: - first with a multimeter the resistance is around 0.05 ohms on each, checked like in most youtube videos; then i also took the glowplugs out to check individually and they work fine.
- Now I checked the battery, replaced it with a new one 95ah with cca 850a, still same problem.

I want to check the glow plug relay but I don't know how to do it, maybe someone could guide me how to measure it's parameters if it works.

What else do you suggest checking?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
First up I would go to the DI archives and download the workshop manual from post #9 to get as much info as you can. White smoke is usually unburned diesel and this can happen on cold, sluggish mornings with dense and possibly waxing fuel. Is this something new? Have you had the vehicle long? Does itstill have th original ceramic GP's. Need to give us allthe info you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car in December 2019, kept it outside and started everyday with no problems even at colder temps, like -5, -10 degrees. This problem showed up two weeks ago, and I didn't do anything to the car till the problem showed up. After this problem I did an engine service changing engine oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter. Problem still persisted. The diesel I poured in was good, the same I use for a new audi more sensitive to that. The glow plugs have metalic body.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
OK, are the tips of the GP's ceramic? Just trying to ascertain if they are original or not. What happens if you pump the primer to make it go firm before attempting to start it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, they look like fully metal, the tip that heats up looks like ceramic. But i took them out and tested them and the tips turn red very quickly. I tried the to pump the primer before starting the engine, but it was firm before trying to pump it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
The glow section is what I meant when I said tip. Should get a little hotter than just a red I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The glow section is what I meant when I said tip. Should get a little hotter than just a red I think.
I can't tell their temperature but all the glowing section turned red quickly. So even if they are not at their full operating level they should be enaugh to start the engine with no problem.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
Do you happen yo know how I can test if the glow plug relay is working or not?
Rig up multimetre to buzzbar, turn ignition on then read voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I thought to check the fuses, and the glow plug relay fuse that has 100amps I found out that was burned.
I called a parts shop and didn't find to buy, only to order for tomorrow so, I was very nervous to see if it was so simple. So I glued a piece of copper from a wire. The result was burning the wire. So I thought that the relay is bad. I took it apart. When taking out the 3 wires from the relay, one was stuck because the plastic melted.In the end using some wd40 I managed to take it out without braking anything. I took of the cover and checked the resistance and it seems that is fine, not faulty. Ok so I measured the +from the relay to the + that goes on top of the glowplug and is continous. At this point I know there is a shortcircuit somewhere but don't know where. I tested the glued fuse with the + taken off of the head of the glow plug and didn't burn the fuse. So I thing the short circuit is somewhere on the band that connects the glowplugs. As I tested again the resistance of the glow plugs and all of them have 0.06ohms so... they are ok.
I called an electrician, and probably monday or thuesday I'll take the car to his shop to check it.

·
Registered
nissan
107 Posts
on the top of the glow plugs, the terminal is separated from the (grounded) body of the glow plug by a plastic spacer and a nylon washer. If you've overtightened them which is very easy to do or if a spacer is missing there will be a short

More importantly, on a di ZD30 you shouldn't really need the glow plugs at all unless in cold below, say, 5degC. In australia many owners leave the glow plugs disconnected as the engine still starts straight up. If it's not cold where you are, you may want to look at having the injectors tested

In the meantime I suggest that if you don't know the history of the glow plugs, you just buy a new set of steel-tipped Bosch plugs. The factory ceramic ones are well known for pieces to crack off the tip and cause damage in the combustion chamber. Installing them will likely see you resolve the short at the same time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on the top of the glow plugs, the terminal is separated from the (grounded) body of the glow plug by a plastic spacer and a nylon washer. If you've overtightened them which is very easy to do or if a spacer is missing there will be a short

More importantly, on a di ZD30 you shouldn't really need the glow plugs at all unless in cold below, say, 5degC. In australia many owners leave the glow plugs disconnected as the engine still starts straight up. If it's not cold where you are, you may want to look at having the injectors tested

In the meantime I suggest that if you don't know the history of the glow plugs, you just buy a new set of steel-tipped Bosch plugs. The factory ceramic ones are well known for pieces to crack off the tip and cause damage in the combustion chamber. Installing them will likely see you resolve the short at the same time
I think you gave me the solution for my problem! Yesterday I was studying the wiring of the glow plug system and I was that under the plate that connects the tips of the glowplugs there is a spacer and a washer, but I didn't know if they were plastic or metalic. My GP's are metal body, I saw as I took them out to test them. The problem is that the tips of the GPs don't have any spacer or washer, so the plate goes directly over it.

I my country there are temperatures lower than 5 degrees. The engine stars but a little bit harder than I would expect.

Now I will look for some spacer and then I will check if that was the problem. And let you know!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so checked the thing with the plastic spacer and nylon washer and I've put the + back, tested and again burned the fuse. The short is I think inside a glowplug (is that possible???). What I did as a test, I've put the + only on the 1st glowplug, and didn't burn the fuse. then I've put it on the second, the same, no problem. I've connected through the plate the 3rd and 4th glow plugs and it did burn it.
So my supposition is that it may be from the 3rd glow plug, as that's the only one I could not take out, because of the intakemanifold.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
Are you talking about the throttle body getting in the way? 3 bolts and it's off, might as well go the whole hog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you talking about the throttle body getting in the way? 3 bolts and it's off, might as well go the whole hog.
I thought it's harder as it has on each side attached some thin metal bars that actuate the acceleration and vaccum I think. And I don't know how to take them without decalibrating the acceleration pedal afterwards.
Have you ever heard of internal shortcircuit of a glow plug?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
I thought it's harder as it has on each side attached some thin metal bars that actuate the acceleration and vaccum I think. And I don't know how to take them without decalibrating the acceleration pedal afterwards.
Have you ever heard of internal shortcircuit of a glow plug?
Won't need to do anything with accelerator pedal. If you go to my build thead, link in my signature, there is an index in the first post to projects I've done on my 2000DI, a few of those wiill have pics of mine with the throttle body off.
Re internal shorting, not that I can remember but external shorting and damage from that, yes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Won't need to do anything with accelerator pedal. If you go to my build thead, link in my signature, there is an index in the first post to projects I've done on my 2000DI, a few of those wiill have pics of mine with the throttle body off.
Re internal shorting, not that I can remember but external shorting and damage from that, yes.
Thanks, I will check that. I don't understand where does the shorcircuit come from, but I will take the 3rd glow plug out and check it. The problem should come from it as that's the only one not checked. I let you know after I take it off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys, I sorted out the problem.
It turned out that the 4th glow plug had a short circuit inside. The other 3 had a little bit of movement of the internal part (where the + was connected) so for safety reason I changed all 4 glow plugs, changed the fuse and the cart started perfectly!
No problem ever since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts