Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my new Patrol is here ST-L and I am wondering how to tell when its in 2WD and if there is a way to lock the rear diff when in 2WD? Yes I would like to have a little fun with it on the beach and on the back roads.....

Cheers Josh

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
It is constant. 4wd. I do notice it will spin up(very little) the rears if provoked but no "fun" like a commodore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
310 Posts

According to the Middle East guys pull these 2 fuses and you will have 2wd, it's the only way to get just 2wd that I know of. In auto mode trying to spin just the rears normally the front wheels kick in and end up pulling you straight or in the direction your wheels are pointed. I've found on the sand and mud etc it's easier to engage 4 low and all 4 spin can tell you it's a lot of fun ;) got the power to do it

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm interesting... yes I am looking forward to lighting up all fours! But also can't help but think that I will also want to do some donuts on the beach with the V8 it's is going to be impossible not to be a hook.....:D

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
Yeah i found out first hand how much fun you can have on the gravel, still felt like a rwd biased 4x4 system as it was quite taily still.

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading the book last night it does run 2wd or 4wd in auto page 5-18 if your bored like I was....

·
Registered
nissan
310 Posts
It's rwd until it senses a loss of traction then it will send power to the front aswell, not keen on it as it's abit unpredictable

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
You can switch to 4wd high mode. Believe this locks centre diff to allow 50:50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I see now that some guys have a ABS of switch I assume that it is for the 2wd. Might be an option and a hard wired switch to the diff itself for locking in 2wd.

·
Registered
Nissan Y62 2013
179 Posts
It's constant 4wd with 75% in the rear wheels and 25% in the front, when you engage 4H or 4L it becomes 50:50

About the method shown in the pic above It's the way to do it but I DO NOT RECCOMEND doing it because it has a lot of power and flipping over gets easier when you just have 2wd.

I've tried leaving it in 2wd for about a month with just removing the Red #10 fuse shown in the pic, the pink one is the ABS, It was fun when going around corners ;) did a little drifting etc. , but as I said... lots of power.. DO NOT TRY IT if your not a capable driver.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Yeah I see now that some guys have a ABS of switch I assume that it is for the 2wd. Might be an option and a hard wired switch to the diff itself for locking in 2wd.
I have an ABS off switch so that I can actually stop on steep and slippery inclines, where and when I want to stop and not when ABS decides. Also, when I engage the ABS off switch, it automatically selects 4 HI and cancels out the terrain [traction control] selection.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i pulled the above said 4WD fuse and just pressed the console T/C button to turn it off and yes as it is very wet over here in Perth today it was a good test. i can confirm that round-abouts are very fun.... I think i will be installing a switch somewhere for this fuse note tho that the car has to be turned of and re-started to clear the 4WD caution light. But for those that do want to have fun on the beach or gravel roads!:D

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y62
72 Posts
Found a neat little adaptor on eBay that made putting in a 2wd switch quite easy. Top right yellow and green wires. If it ever has to go back to Nissan it would be easy to remove and put the fuse back in. I think it was about 9 bucks plus delivery. In line fuse is now located near in cabin fuses.

Not sure what Nissan would think about the extra fuse box and extra wires though? Should really neaten them up I suppose.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Sweet Jesus that is some pathetic control of ones vehicle!!
And some wicked abuse of the engine! Lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts