Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking at adding a slimline pioneer rack to my “new” 2018 Y62 Patrol. I was wondering how people accces the rack when packing. I used to climb onto my ARB rack on my 98 GU by climbing up on the spare wheel and then the rack itself. Any ideas on the new car with the hatch style rear door? I’m mainly packing luggage into a roof bag. I’m thinking of a ladder on the side, or a tyres mounted step. Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
363 Posts
I just climb up via the rear wheel carrier, but doesnt help without a wheel carrier. Regardless I not a fan on the rhino Pioneer roof rack at all.
Pay a lot of money then need to spend more money on the attachments. Then packing it has to be well thought out to insure your tie down point are already in place.
I'd go back to a tradies rack if possible. The mesh style are soooo much easier and you don't have issues with dirt filling the tracks.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the tradies rack. I haven’t bought the rack yet, so I’ll keep that in mind. I’m after a low profile, that’s why my mind went pioneer platform.

·
Registered
nissan
363 Posts
Can still do. They have a mesh style with the slim line backbone attachment. That or I have seen a ARB that looked pretty desent.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,935 Posts
Surely a nice ladder can be adapted in some way, I fitted one to the small rear barn door on my GU but I have seen them on the side of other vehicles and still look OK, I suppose it depends on how often you would use it, I do quite a few road trips so it gets used often.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
That is interesting. We had a ute in at work recently with one fitted and a couple of our guys spent 3 days climbing in and out of the tray on one and they both would be knocking on or over the 120kg mark and sometimes were carrying stuff. Didn't even consider a weight rating.

What's that damage though in the top right corner at the ledge. Wouldn't expect that with downward force. Didn't cop some damaging upward force prior did it.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,848 Posts
Don't know if this is viable with a Y62, but I have seen a couple of vehicles with the wire removed from the centre section of the rack. Access was then gained to said rack by standing on the rear seat and sticking one's torso through the sunroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is interesting. We had a ute in at work recently with one fitted and a couple of our guys spent 3 days climbing in and out of the tray on one and they both would be knocking on or over the 120kg mark and sometimes were carrying stuff. Didn't even consider a weight rating.

What's that damage though in the top right corner at the ledge. Wouldn't expect that with downward force. Didn't cop some damaging upward force prior did it.
That other mark is just the paint, caused by me when I removed the top bracket that holds the step to the tow hitch.

·
Registered
nissan
363 Posts
Ring Hayme Reece, I have had a small issue with a rear bar, and they where great in solving and fixing the issue. Found them very easy to deal with.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts