Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting situation
I used my winch last night which is connected to the battery positive and body negative
After driving approx 70kms the 4wd fault light came on. I stopped the car turned ff the ignition and then started it again, all good, drove about 1 km and the light comes back on, I was onlybaround the corner from home so drove home, in the driveway tried tonshiftbfrom Auto to 4wdHi, then back to auto, light still one
Then parked it for the night, this morning it's in 4wd low and won't shift out, so called road side assistance, they are twing it to Nissan on Monday to have it looked at
Will now have to wait and see what it is, so it's back to driving my GU4 for a few days I guess

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Not that I have a y62 but I remember a member saying that the manual states not to connect anything to the negative terminal. There is a post somewhere near the battery which is meant to be the main earth for accesories. The winch may have 'infected" the system and it might pay to disconnect the terminals over night and see if that clears it.

I'm sure other will have a better idea.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's correct, my negatives for all the accessories and the winch are connected to the body negative bolt not the battery

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Yes take it off before it goes to nissan or they may void your warranty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
They need to prove that an aftermarket modification or accessory has caused the malfunction, for example if you fit a dual battery system and you blow a diff, they can't turn around and say you're not covered because you have fitted a non approved accessory, so if everything has been installed correctly and isn't directly related to it you should still be covered, even in the above example they would have to provide a reasonable explanation as to why his winch fitment has caused the cars transfer case to get stuck in low range

·
Registered
nissan
197 Posts
Technically true.....

But they can just say no warranty due to "x" and you are the one that has to jump through the hoops and go through the process of proving them wrong and in most cases it's easier to just pay for it to get fixed.... (Probably not on a y62 though...)

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some research on the American Infiniti QX56 I've found that when the 4wd warning light comes on, it stops the selector switch from working so seeing that the switch may have been in low range so it stays in low range as the selector now doesn't work, so I'm hoping after Nissan clears the fault codes it all works again, just then need to know why the 4wd warning light came on

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Maybe it is warning you "not to take it offroad" lol

Just kidding.

Although I have noticed when in auto mode it can spin up the inside wheel when taking off turning from standstill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Ya can't beat shifting a stick to engage 4WD I reckon.

Hope you get it sorted easily Craig.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also found how to reset warning lights and errors by using the accelerator etc and going through the method of resenting the ECU, but don't want to try it as I want Nissan to see the faults and tell me what they are and then I'll know if it was using the winch that did it or something else

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
steely yes a god old lever is great as you can get under the car and fix it if there is an issue

·
Registered
A45 AMG, Ranger :(
1,163 Posts
In the Y62 manual from Nissan it shows how you can get under the car and manually select/de-select low range on the tranfser. Not something you should have to do, but its there in an emergency,

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I saw that to, but didnt want to change things as I want Nissan to see what has happened and let me know what caused the fault

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like there is an issue with the transfer case motor that drives the selection of 4wd hi or low range
Apparently the computer isnt communicating with the motor so they are carrying out mre tests to see if its a CMOS thing or the motor is had it

·
Registered
Nissan Y62 2013
179 Posts
The 4wd warning light comes on when the driveshaft or the axles get too hot...

It disconnects the 4wd and lets it rest.

That's what I heard from the dealership here and also had the issue when I was climbing some rocks here on a sunny morning (47 degrees Celcius)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Overheating, wow, you'd think that would have been sorted out in Dubai over the years. I had an xtrail that did the same on the sand dunes, dropped into 2wd when hot.

·
Registered
Nissan Y62 2013
179 Posts
It's not a common issue and only comes up when you overuse it, actually haven't met any other person here that had the issue except one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts