Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

I’ve been on the forum for a bit now, learning heaps off it.
Thought id finally show my 2.8 GU off:

Current Mods (sort of in order) –
· Front bash plate (mainly due to ripping of Mr Nissan’s Plastic one)
· 2.5 Inch Exhaust, with high flow muffler
· Custom made rear drawers + Cargo barrier
· Rear work light bracket / rear wheel spacer
· GME TX3340 with GME antenna
· Pioneer CD Head unit, with cheapo SUB + AMP mounted in front of drawers
· Dual Battery
· 2inch lift using coil spacers
· Tough Dog RTC damper
· Boost Gauge
· ECU talk on a Netbook
· Second Glove box mod
· Donator Chip
· EGR + Butterfly mod
· Super cheap spotties

It’s a 1998 2.8 GU ST, bought it back in march this year, with just over 180 000 K's on the clock. Relatively stock, never went off road. Snorkel and BF ATs (new set on front). No oil leaks, great service history (done at local Nissan dealer). Couldn't go passed it! Got it for a reasonable price. After looking at a 2001 3Lt GU, I had my mind set on a GU Patrol, heres a couple of pic of her on the first day of owning it –

First 2 weeks of owning it, a few friends and I went down the West coast of Tasmania, down to Sandy Cape. Great trip, The Patrol went great guns. Only got stuck the once –

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All was going smoothly,
Till i had to drown her on the way to Bellingham beach..,
Nothing but wet carpets, and some electrical s not working, good fun but. Didnt even get to do the beach run :( oh well next time -

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last Monday, some mates and I went about conquering the Sawback Track, which is one of the hardest in Tasmania. After all the weeks rains, the track was pretty much under water :confused:. Great fun, did 12 Kays in 7 hours. The track leads to an old mine town called Adamsfield. Only got stuck the once in a knee deep mud hole, a front locker would have done wonders. A bit of damage on the patrol, side steps are stuffed, and a nice dent on the drivers side door. Bit better then the Triton on the trip - Blown head gasket + Brand new Cooper tire stuffed.
Other then that, awesome fun. Cant wait till do it again :cool:

The Deep mud hole, just after i was snatched backwards - we ended up draining the water -

A view of Lake Gordon -

A great track to do, highly recommended if your traveling the state! ;)

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next mod I think should be an oil catch can, sick of the oil in the air intake - Inter cooler!

After reading about the Donator chip, i was keen to buy one and test for myself.
Awesome mod, heaps more power and torque! :cool:
Some pics of the Donator Speedbox chip install-

I tested the chip on the previous trip (sawback track) - very handy in muddy and wet terrain. ;)

After seeing a GU ute with 35s + 7 inch lift at the car wash yesterday, convinced me that big tires and big lift are in order. Might just need to convince the wallet now :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
go the big tyres and lift. you'll love it. dont let the handbrake drive it though as they tend to say all sorts of unpleasent things as most jellious women do... oh yer, leave out the swaybars too, it is p#%& funny watching poeple trying to select reverse to get the hell outta the road when you come through round-abouts on 3 wheels...

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go the big tyres and lift. you'll love it. dont let the handbrake drive it though as they tend to say all sorts of unpleasent things as most jellious women do... oh yer, leave out the swaybars too, it is p#%& funny watching poeple trying to select reverse to get the hell outta the road when you come through round-abouts on 3 wheels...
hahah. sounds like a plan. Ive already got the front one off, made a bit of a difference :) .. oh well cant wait till i get the $$$ to do a lift + big rubber :cool:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Another maroon Patrol, welcome.
Looks like your getting out there and using it for it's intended purpose.
Keep us all posted, gotta love the 2.8!!!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another maroon Patrol, welcome.
Looks like your getting out there and using it for it's intended purpose.
Keep us all posted, gotta love the 2.8!!!!!!
One day smokey, it may grow up to be like yours ;)
Try too, more mud this weekend!
Gotta love the 'chipped' 2.8s!!!! haha

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,
Bit of an update,
After the last trips damage, Ive taken the side steps off (will get some steel sliders made up soon). Also have taken the muffler off, so its just 2.5 straight through now (SOUNDS SO GOOD! :iconbana:)
The old 2.8 is running awesome, chip working perfectly.

Here is some of the better pics from the last trip down the West Coast of Tassie,
Started in Granville Harbour headed up the coast to the mouth of the Pieman River, great trip. Next time we will be doing the same track again, and the Climes track which is from Trial to Granville Harbour. Should be great.
Enjoy... ;)

Look at that $hit fly.. lol :punkrock:
Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome pictures mate. Yeah the 2.8,s rock!! U will love it with some extra clearance...

Enjoy!!

DaVo.
Cheers, thanks mate.
Your not wrong, when i get full time work, 6 inch lift is on the cards :wink:
Ur rig is sweet as!

- Stoffy

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice work Stoffy, Great to see she gets a good work out. More than i can say for mine at the moment. The black rims look the goods too.
Cheers
Troy
Thanks Troy.
Im sure in due course ur mighty 2.8 can get out and about.
If you ever come down this way, ill be happy to take you on some good tracks!
Not bad for 40 bucks worth of spray paint aye?? ;)
Like you, i have a list of mods to do, the only issues is finding 1 - time, and 2 - money :p

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
errr. that black **** looks nasty! hope you didn't get too much in that window? i think i'm getting old or something, (but then qld has been getting sooooo much rain lately), i am sick of cleaning mud out from underneith mine. ive got a section of my yard that is now about 200mm higher than the rest from washing the **** out. meh, i know i'm just gonna do it again tho....

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
awesome work mate and some excellent pics,

good to see you getting out there and using the mighty 2.8 aswell!!

get the lift in there and they'll be no stopping you!!

cheers

phil

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
errr. that black **** looks nasty! hope you didn't get too much in that window? i think i'm getting old or something, (but then qld has been getting sooooo much rain lately), i am sick of cleaning mud out from underneith mine. ive got a section of my yard that is now about 200mm higher than the rest from washing the **** out. meh, i know i'm just gonna do it again tho....
Yeah you weren't wrong, luckily there was lots of water to drive through, salt water.. :rolleyes:
I think only one small clump got in, wasn't too bad but!
Got the same issue in my paddock.. oh well part of the fun of getting it dirty is cleaning it ;)

awesome work mate and some excellent pics,

good to see you getting out there and using the mighty 2.8 aswell!!

get the lift in there and they'll be no stopping you!!

cheers

phil
Thanks maxwell, was lucky this time, had a pro photographer taking pics :punkrock:
Lift and rubber will do wonders, go the 2.8s!

Cheers,
Stoffy

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

OH yeah, I forgot to mention...
Got stuck pretty bad in that muddy $hite. Ended up busting a snatch strap and all,
Good fun all the same :wink:

Note: the 80 series 'Turbo' stickers...
Cheers,
Stoffy

1 - 20 of 63 Posts