Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a ~22,600km trip, mostly on bitumen, on my Pro Comp Xtrmem AT's and they are completely destroyed.

These are a large lug off road tyre and with the horse power and torque thrown out by the Duramax they were ripped to shreds on the back. Had to continuously rotate them (every 2000kms) to even out the wear.

The scalloping became extreme to the point where one lug would bunch up and skip the next lug (so I have one lug worn down 35% more than the next lug in line all the way around).

And the extra that comes with this is that they are out of round and unbalanceable.

I don't do that much dirt road, I guess maybe 70% road, 20% beach and 10% track these days, and can't be bothered with rock hopping or mud diving.

I mainly do a lot of beach driving while fishing and the track work is getting to and from the beach.

So I am looking at a more highway oriented set of rubber, pretty much anything works on the beach with the right pressures.

And going down to 16in steels from the standard 17in alloys will help a lot in bagging.

After looking long and hard at this conundrum I have pretty much come to choosing the following.

Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 in LT 285/75R-16 on Dynamic D steels.

Not really interested in what you think I should get, or a mate of a mate has something else. I am very capable of doing my own research and arriving at my own conclusions (and therefore have no one to blame if I screw it up but myself ;)

What I am after is anyone who has, or has had, Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 in LT 285/75R-16, or something close, to give me an opinion of these tyres and reasons why you were, were not, satisfied with them.

Cheers.

Kim

·
nissan patrol
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
err, scrap the above.

Went down to local tire power to have a look (not buy) and thought that the tread pattern was something that I could use.

So off to old mate at Peel Tires who is a good friend as well as an old bushman, and who I always deal with to see what he could do with the price and supply 16in rims to suit.

He said that yes they are a good tire and looking at what I have on the rig and what I do with them (we have been fishing many times together) they will do for what I need.

But ....

He says, you can do as well for much cheaper.

So he just sold me the following.

5 x 285 / 75 / 16 MAXXIS AT771
5 x 8 x 16 steel rims, -11 offset, D pattern

$1875 fitted and balanced.

Happy with that.

Attachments

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
11,999 Posts
Maxxis is a quality tyre manufacturer, haven't seen them mentioned much here though. I have the previous Geolander GO12s and love them, terrific AT.

·
Registered
nissan
4,823 Posts
Don't Yokohama do a pro-rata, 50% wear 50% off, replacement policy for tyre damage?

·
Registered
nissan
6,395 Posts
Don't Yokohama do a pro-rata, 50% wear 50% off, replacement policy for tyre damage?
As long as you buy 2 or more at a time. Yokos are great value if you buy them at the 4 for the price of 3 deal that they run from time to time. They used to run this twice a year but now it is once a year or even less for their 4wd tyres. Fantastic touring tyres.

He says, you can do as well for much cheaper.

$1875 fitted and balanced.
What price were you quoted for the Yokys? Full retail here in NQ for a single Yoky GO15 in 285/75/16 is $288 at Bob Jane. If you can't get 5 of them for $260 each there is something wrong. You will do even better when they are having their 4 for the price of 3 deal. The last time I looked at buying King 16x8 steel wheels they were $100 each for a set of 4. That makes about $1800 for a set of 5 wheels and tyres but there might be a WA tax we don't see in the east although Townsville often pays more for stuff than the capitals do.

Nothing wrong with Maxxis though.

·
nissan patrol
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you buy 2 or more at a time. Yokos are great value if you buy them at the 4 for the price of 3 deal that they run from time to time. They used to run this twice a year but now it is once a year or even less for their 4wd tyres. Fantastic touring tyres.

What price were you quoted for the Yokys? Full retail here in NQ for a single Yoky GO15 in 285/75/16 is $288 at Bob Jane. If you can't get 5 of them for $260 each there is something wrong. You will do even better when they are having their 4 for the price of 3 deal. The last time I looked at buying King 16x8 steel wheels they were $100 each for a set of 4. That makes about $1800 for a set of 5 wheels and tyres but there might be a WA tax we don't see in the east although Townsville often pays more for stuff than the capitals do.

Nothing wrong with Maxxis though.
Yep, we have a WA tax, on everything. Shipping / trucking fees are usually trotted out as the reason, but we all know it is more the perception of those "loaded FIFO people in the west" as the true reason.

What I normally do is ring around for the best price, then take that price to my mate at Peel and he will do better.

In this case the best I could do was $320 a pop, no buy 3 and get one free anywhere. Rims (various brands) came in with the cheapest being dynamic at $105. Then all (including Bob Jane, and except Tire Power) added fitting and balancing.

Cheapest total was $2320 for all.

Mate could do it for $2160.

But both were an unknown to me, and old mate does a lot of 4WD's (everyone goes to him down my way) and his observation (which I trust) was that he sees more km's being had out of the Maxxis.

And I respect his input when it comes to tires, he has been running his business for 30 years, he is a true 4WD'er and old school bushy. He also wins awards for customer service, community service and small business regularly. And, he is currently donating $1 for every tire or rim he sells to the WWF - Australia for animals caught up in the bushfires (none of the others are). And mainly, he is an independent and local business who I would support anyway over any multinational or eastern state chain store. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
4,823 Posts
A mate use to run Maxxis AT's on his GQ, and 2 rodeo work utes they lasted for ever albeit a little older than the new style, good tyres. Even when I had Bighorns on my patrol you could get 80k out off them with mostly highway use.

·
nissan patrol
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New skins and rims don't look too bad.

And I have gone from driving on tires full of rocks, to gliding down the road in a Bentley...

But gonna miss my 305 fatties lol.

Attachments

·
nissan patrol
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I found another bonus.

All this time running around with a Duramax under the bonnet I had no idea what it sounded like at the tailpipe, the constant roar of knobby, scalloped tires put paid to that.

Plenty have said "it sounds nice", "tough" and even a "horny", but I had no idea myself.

I do now, and I like it ... :D

·
Registered
Y62 Series 3 (and others...)
36 Posts
Have had G015's under the Y62 for 40,000 km or so. Outstanding tyres for my application and vehicle. Will buy again when I need them.

Maxxis generally good stuff. When I was at CSA Cobar we couldn't kill them on the u/g utes, and that's the toughest tyre test in Oz IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts