Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all ive got a coil cab gq ute, its got a alloy tray on it at the moment, cut and shortened, with heavy 4inch springs in the back with dobbison shocks. ive only got the standard 80litre ?? wagon tank in the very back at this stage (its a wagon chassis) and some bolt on drop boxes and other than that maybe the spare tire strapped over the back aswell..
my question is am i goin to improve its off-road abillity by puting more weight ie steel tray over the back wheels ???
people say more weight more traction ect
is this the case??

i also realise more weight would smooth out the ride, but my question is regarding traction up hills ect ect

·
Registered
352 Posts
What's it like for traction now ? Given that you have a section of wagon body forward of the rear wheels now, and all the other weight you carry now, a steel tray may (or may not) reduce your useful payload. If you do decide to increase the working weights, you may need to reinforce the top spring mounts? You may decide to increase the fuel capacity, which will change how the weight goes. Possibly your simplest weight mod will be to strap on a few water tanks, and adjust the distribution as you go, on the understanding that the water in the tanks is for emergencies, not for drinking, but more for radiators etc, if needed, otherwise its for ballast.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
sometimes it's good,eg going up step hill climbs then when you end up stuck up to the diffs which happens to most of us at some stage then the weight becomes a disadvantage in my opinion

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
My ute has a steel tray the checker plate on it was rusted to hell, so I removed it and fitted 10mm ply as a temporary fix.
This left the rear end lighter and rather slippery on wet roads/gravel, also not much chance of pulling out something bellied on diffs in muddy conditions, have tried no succces needed extra weight of a wagon.
I started a new tray it will be all steel with 85L water tank over rear axle, should help traction as well, I don't like ally trays they end up rattling too much, and steel will stiffen up chassis making suspension work IMHO.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
<snip> and steel will stiffen up chassis making suspension work IMHO.
this is why ute chassis crack.
it concentrates all of the flexing at the front of the tray. bad idea.
the chassis is designed to flex up to a point. That's why the body mounts are rubber, if they were solid mounts you'd tear the cab apart.

more weight will smooth the ride out, so will replacing the springs and shocks with ones suited to the new axle weight. Everything else suggested here is a bodge up and doesn't address the source of the problem. Put springs with thinner wire in. You might need to look for springs out of a different, lighter vehicle like a pajero or something.

correct suspension spring and shock rates will improve the handling on wet and slippery roads, the axle will skip and bounce less. You will probably need to lower your usual rear tyre pressure, look up how to measure your contact patch, you can do it on a smooth concrete floor with talcum powder or flour.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I think look at dropping tyre pressures before I put extra weight on the thing. Most blokes are flat out doing everything they can to shed weight!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts