Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spoken to 2 diesel mechanics in Brisbane (northside) they don't feel the need to adjust boost after blocking the EGR. Having read all the forum comments and User manual from Chaz, I'm not so sure. I am very reluctant to tinker with my 2002 ZD3.0 motor as my wife needs it for work and I would be very quickly out of my depth if there was a problem. Hence I would prefer someone competent to do it for me. Can anyone recommend a suitable person on the northside of Brisbane.

I have previously been given a steer towards 2 guys at Brendale by the forum but they both say boost adjustment after EGR blockage is not needed. I intend to fit boost and EGT gauges before blocking the EGR (and clean inlet manifold) to establish "normal' boost and EGT. After this I would plan to fit the Dawes. Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I would fit the boost controller / dawes valve at the same time, if not before blocking the EGR.

The general consensus is that you will suffer over boost problems if you don't. Do it once, do it right.

my 2c :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Hey bud
My 02 suffered over boost when i blocked the EGR. FYI

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Having spoken to 2 diesel mechanics in Brisbane (northside) they don't feel the need to adjust boost after blocking the EGR. Having read all the forum comments and User manual from Chaz, I'm not so sure. I am very reluctant to tinker with my 2002 ZD3.0 motor as my wife needs it for work and I would be very quickly out of my depth if there was a problem. Hence I would prefer someone competent to do it for me. Can anyone recommend a suitable person on the northside of Brisbane.

I have previously been given a steer towards 2 guys at Brendale by the forum but they both say boost adjustment after EGR blockage is not needed. I intend to fit boost and EGT gauges before blocking the EGR (and clean inlet manifold) to establish "normal' boost and EGT. After this I would plan to fit the Dawes. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I've had good general service from Moorooka automotive, and AMMS at Kensal. I've never asked about boost control but its worth giving them a call. I suspect you may get the same answer but good luck.

It does beg the question why experienced mechanics would give you advice like this?

I haven't done these modes yet, so i can't give a proper hand. Maybe some other members in the area could.

Grogey

·
Registered
nissan patrol
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll keep ringing various diesel mechanics and see what they say.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
I intend to fit boost and EGT gauges before blocking the EGR (and clean inlet manifold) to establish "normal' boost and EGT. After this I would plan to fit the Dawes. Any assistance would be appreciated.
This is exactly the way to go, that way you have a set of base rules to learn from, then fit Dawes/needle valve, then do EGR, logical progression. That way you can make the necessary adjustments reasonably quickly if you do go into an overboost limp after doing EGR. Not all vehicles have this problem though.

It is one of the best things I ever did.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there

I can assure you from 100% experience that when you block the EGR valve that the motor will overboost and trip the overboost protection. If you dont have the dawes valve fitted then you'll need to adjust the VNT stop screw on the turbocharger. The reference document on this forum details how to perform that task.

I would not block the EGR without having boost and EGT gauges on the motor. You'll particularly need the boost one to set the VNT stop screw.

I have observed that, while the ECU controls my boost fairly well, that I am going to fit a Dawes valve (mine came in the mail yesterday) becuase I dont like the fact that the motor will drop the boost away at a certain rev range regardless of load. The real concern is the rise in EGT temps as a result of this occuring.

If the ZD30 could read an EGT probe input and adjust boost based upon EGT rather than trying to save a tree or two then I think we would all be a lot happier, and we would see a reduction in failures IMHO.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Hi Graham99,
Mine didn't overboost to limp after EGR mod and I know of several others that didn't, I don't fully understand why except that no 2 vehicles are perfectly identical in setup, but it doesn't always happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts