Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks.

Was hoping i could get your opinions on the delicate issue of eliminating the dreaded ZD30 issues with the dirty oil in the intercooler problem and the overheating.

In one of the 4wd action issues i read a fellow resolved this problem with an intercooler upgrade specially put together by the lads at Burleigh Taipan Xp and it also included a air to water intercooler and an oil to air seperator. He said that this has drastically brought down the temperatures and also eliminated any oil getting into the intercooler.

However i've been reading great things about the new Cross Country Intercooler aswell and was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light as to which one to get or if i can mix them up a little??? The Cross country intercooler comes with a 10" thermo fan and seems alot larger therefore more cooler.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers lads

Rusty

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Hi there folks.

Was hoping i could get your opinions on the delicate issue of eliminating the dreaded ZD30 issues with the dirty oil in the intercooler problem and the overheating.

In one of the 4wd action issues i read a fellow resolved this problem with an intercooler upgrade specially put together by the lads at Burleigh Taipan Xp and it also included a air to water intercooler and an oil to air seperator. He said that this has drastically brought down the temperatures and also eliminated any oil getting into the intercooler.

However i've been reading great things about the new Cross Country Intercooler aswell and was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light as to which one to get or if i can mix them up a little??? The Cross country intercooler comes with a 10" thermo fan and seems alot larger therefore more cooler.

Cheers lads

Rusty
Go the crosscountry intercooler and the Taipan XP Catch can.

It'll be sweet

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
I'm looking at the air to water intercooler upgrade too, although I had my attention on the TaipanXP. They also do an upgraded air to air. What are the other alternatives for a worthy a2w complete kit, fitted for the not so handy types, apart from the CC?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
4.2 intercooler versas 3.0L intercooler

Curiousity ---
neighbour gave me a 4.2 intercooler complete with GU mount and intercooler fan.
Did a rough measure (without removing 3.0L intercooler) and looks like it would fit with a small modification.
The 4.2 is bigger so there would be better cooling ?? and flow ??

Has any member did this mod or had a look at doing it?

Thanks and cheers

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
I'm looking at the air to water intercooler upgrade too, although I had my attention on the TaipanXP. They also do an upgraded air to air. What are the other alternatives for a worthy a2w complete kit, fitted for the not so handy types, apart from the CC?
Only other worthy w2A is a laminova mate, but not real good for the "not so handy" types as you put it.

Dont complicate the setup, get a nice a2a and be done with it.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Hi there folks.

Cheers lads

Rusty
As per above posts for the Cross Country IC.

Provent catch can seems to be the bees knees these days.

The Zd30 does not suffer from over heating unless there are issues with.
1. A radiator thats internally partially blocked from incorrect coolant or mixed coolants.
2. A radiator that is externally blocked in the cooling fins/core
3. Stuffed water pump or viscus fan.

How do you know its overheating mate? Do you have an ECUtalk gauge or similar which reads accurately compared to the std Nissan piece of crap temp gauge?

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Dirty intercooler = block EGR and fit provent 200
Also when fitted, clean the pipes and I/C.
My provent is now in a half year, no oil in cooler, pipes are dry.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts