Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,
I recently bought a 2004 Nissan Patrol y61 3.0L 5spd Manual ZD30 Wagon.
(Yeah bad idea from the start everyone would say)

The vehicle was fine on the drive home from Brisbane (at night) till I reached home and the engine light came on. Didn’t think much of it as I already arrived at my destination but the day after I noticed it a lot more.

Kmph & rpm jump upwards instead of flow upwards when accelerating followed by engine light coming on and flick of revs tacho, then rpm sits on 0rpm and power loss kicks in. From reading I’ve heard it’s known as “Limp Mode”. It seems to do it more during the day than during the night but every drive I go on, Limp Mode is activated by the time I’m on my way home from wherever. Even if I drive it like an old person or every 1000rpm is worth $1000 she still gives me limp mode.

Before you go on telling me it could be a million and one things or to get it scanned/cleared or buy gauges. Here’s a few things I’ve already done so far and things I’ve looked into a bit.
Things done;

Oil Filter
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Checked all hoses and connections.
Booked a scanning for Monday 30th.

Things looked into;

Possibly too much boost causing limp mode?
1. Buying gauges to see EGT and Boost.(since the system in the car is probably from the Windows XP era and won’t tell you anything till it slaps you in the face with limp mode.)
2. Get it scanned. (Booked Monday 30th March 2020)
3. Block Plate? Lol
4. Swirl Mod? Lol
5. Ask the Patrol4x4.com

What I’d like to know is what do you think the reason behind this random (it seems) behaviour is and if you’ve had it, heard about it or know about it, I’d love to know how you’ve gone about fixing it. Cheers everyone!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,145 Posts
Limp normally reduces boost to a max of around 10psi and tops max speed at around 100k and makes it feek dead as a dodo, but, when you lift your foot it goes back to normal until you hit the condition that set it off again. What your experiencing is a little strange, I've had limp a million times in mine (in the old days) and in others cars but not seen revs go to 0. There will be a code in the ECU, you need to get at that, you can get it yourself by downloading the bible from the DI archives and following the manual instructions in that section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Limp normally reduces boost to a max of around 10psi and tops max speed at around 100k and makes it feek dead as a dodo, but, when you lift your foot it goes back to normal until you hit the condition that set it off again. What your experiencing is a little strange, I've had limp a million times in mine (in the old days) and in others cars but not seen revs go to 0. There will be a code in the ECU, you need to get at that, you can get it yourself by downloading the bible from the DI archives and following the manual instructions in that section.
Thanks! Will look into the bible after I get the codes on Monday. When I called the Auto Electrician they said Limp Mode is probably caused by too much boost or a dirty sensor and RPM situation could be caused by a sensor or pump or something related to the rpm haven’t quite looked into that yet...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey All,

The vehicle was fine on the drive home from Brisbane (at night) till I reached home and the engine light came on. Didn’t think much of it as I already arrived at my destination but the day after I noticed it a lot more.

Kmph & rpm jump upwards instead of flow upwards when accelerating followed by engine light coming on and flick of revs tacho, then rpm sits on 0rpm and power loss kicks in. From reading I’ve heard it’s known as “Limp Mode”. It seems to do it more during the day than during the night but every drive I go on, Limp Mode is activated by the time I’m on my way home from wherever. Even if I drive it like an old person or every 1000rpm is worth $1000 she still gives me limp mode.

Before you go on telling me it could be a million and one things or to get it scanned/cleared or buy gauges. Here’s a few things I’ve already done so far and things I’ve looked into a bit.
Things done;

Oil Filter
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter

Things looked into;

1. Buying gauges to see EGT and Boost.(since the system in the car is probably from the Windows XP era and won’t tell you anything till it slaps you in the face with limp mode.)
3. Block Plate? Lol
4. Swirl Mod? Lol
5. Ask the Patrol4x4.com

What I’d like to know is what do you think the reason behind this random (it seems) behaviour is and if you’ve had it, heard about it or know about it, I’d love to know how you’ve gone about fixing it. Cheers everyone!
357EA7A7-12A2-450A-BFD3-6A68AFAEE2BF.jpeg
0FDC6D46-C51C-4AE3-A118-2005F2D53C0E.jpeg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,145 Posts
Not sure exactly of what we are supposed to be looking at here. MIL, Door Open, Hand Brake and Seat Belt Lights are on?

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
578 Posts
Not sure exactly of what we are supposed to be looking at here. MIL, Door Open, Hand Brake and Seat Belt Lights are on?
I would assume that's with the motor running and tacho on 0.

I'd try as above first, check ecu and cluster earth's. Also wouldn't hurt to put an extra earth from the body to the chassis underneath. Also, make sure all battery terminals are clean and tight and battery leads are in good condition.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,145 Posts
I would assume that's with the motor running and tacho on 0.

I'd try as above first, check ecu and cluster earth's. Also wouldn't hurt to put an extra earth from the body to the chassis underneath. Also, make sure all battery terminals are clean and tight and battery leads are in good condition.
If that is the case then yes check all earths, there are some behind the kick panel on the drivers side, I had issues with gauges and a couple of lights a few years ago and fixed it by cleaning that earth and others.
@Jdogs4x4 that second earth strap Bods mentions can be very helpful for older Patrols as they can lose good earth contact between chassis and body through crap, it is mentioned in threads and in the bible, you can fit it between body and chassis at the gearbox cross member without drilling a hole, there are bolts and extra threads there already.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
578 Posts
If that is the case then yes check all earths, there are some behind the kick panel on the drivers side, I had issues with gauges and a couple of lights a few years ago and fixed it by cleaning that earth and others.
@Jdogs4x4 that second earth strap Bods mentions can be very helpful for older Patrols as they can lose good earth contact between chassis and body through crap, it is mentioned in threads and in the bible, you can fit it between body and chassis at the gearbox cross member without drilling a hole, there are bolts and extra threads there already.
I had issues with mine when I first got it. Spotlights earthed to the bolts on the bullet. They worked fine, but when you turned them on the fuel gauges, both sub and main, would slowly drop towards empty. I added an earth strap between the body and chassis above the exhaust behind the gearbox, as mentioned there are m8 threaded holes in the chassis and m6 studs off the bottom of the body all along under there. Nissan really should be ashamed of themselves for having nothing on there from the factory. Even my d22 has a flat braided earth strap under there, from the factory...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey All,

Things done;

Oil Filter
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter

Things looked into;

3. Block Plate? Lol
4. Swirl Mod? Lol
5. Ask the Patrol4x4.com

UPDATE: Took it into the auto electrician and they reckon it’s the bottom crank angle sensor that’s playing up. Every time it does it sends pump into limp mode. Sensor comes from Nissan on Wednesday. Will update further as it progresses.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,145 Posts
UPDATE: Took it into the auto electrician and they reckon it’s the bottom crank angle sensor that’s playing up. Every time it does it sends pump into limp mode. Sensor comes from Nissan on Wednesday. Will update further as it progresses.
That should have brought up code, damaged CAS is not unheard of but not common, among other things this will often cause a P73, pump comm. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey All,

Things done;

Oil Filter
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter

Things looked into;

3. Block Plate? Lol
4. Swirl Mod? Lol
5. Ask the Patrol4x4.com

UPDATE: 5/4/2020
Bottom crank angle sensor was changed and all problems solved. Cheers everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts