Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

have just managed to get a 4.2l turbo airbox and a 3l lid for it. i have 2002 patrol with the gq style oval airbox on top of the motor.

as below:

so yeh have to remove the old one and install the turbo airbox.

this is what i have so far. had the 4.2 turbo airbox minus lid for a while and have just got a 3l lid.

just not sure what this is for?

haha so yeh chasing advise on those who have done it before.. ATM i have no second battery installed so have extra room ..

done a bit of a search and got a bit of info like cutting the square section off the lid and making it round...

thanks for your help..

kyle

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
that section goes through ur inner guard and comes out inside lh/f guard which is main pick up for air.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool,,,,,

cheers mate

kyle

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,092 Posts
hey mate need a hand fitting this give us a buzz! looks easy from what i can see.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have pulled the precleaner?? from passenger front corner. no filter in it but had like a cyclone fan thingo...

so i take it that the airbox just butts up against the corner pipe which connects to snorkle pipe... the old fitting had heaps of silicon between them. have mock fitted the airbox in and its fine. just gave it a clean as theres heaps of dust in there.

and also had a look at a factory turbo deisel and looks like hose wont be any good.. doesnt look like it will even fit the 3l lid.. . or at least ill need to make up something similer to "chickens " one he made for his.

ongoing tomorrow...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Just looking at that 90 deg peice, it actually looks like its the start of a snorkle, as i thought the original setup sucks straight from the inner pannel butted upwith a peice of sealing foam.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has changed the way the airbox joins the snorkle?

i have fitted up the turbo airbox and had siliconed both faces to mate the airbox and inner guard fitting. however im still dubious as basically the silicon barrier is the preventing water ingress as there is no pipe which solidly connects the snorkle piping to the airbox..

have i missed something?

wondering if anyone has just got a 90 degree pipe similer size and attached this to snorkle pipe and wedged it and siliconed it to the airbox??

however if it comes from factory like this it must be ok?

sorry if im dribbling *****.. just got mind ticking over today when i installed the box..

any thoughts???

thanks

kyle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

I've just got my hands on exactly the same air box for the same conversion. Very interested in what others have done. I've got an ATX high mount fitted and so need to come up with a way to plumb in the rocker cover breather before the turbo as the factory intake has a 90deg bend at the end which can't be modified to suit the high mount (I don't think).

By the way, my first post. Great forum!! Have learnt heaps.

Stu

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
welcome stu4.2,

do you have a 4.2 lid aswell with your airbox or a 3L lid like mine?

not sure how high your highmount is? maybe post a pic here?

is the 4.2 airhose, with the 90 degree bend meaning that it is too low for mate up with the turbo?

If not is it possible to have a 90 degree bend coming off turbo then a small bit of 2.75 in pipe or whatever the hose is to mate to the airhose?

cheers

kyle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Kyle.

Have got the 4.2 lid atm. will see what (if any) improvement I get with that before changing.

There was a denco kit on the truck when I purchased a couple of years ago, I was very new to diesels at the time and a patrol mad mate convinced me to put on the ATX turbo and 3". The ATX sits a touch higher then the switzer but I think this is only because it is physically larger unit. I haven't physically checked but I am pretty sure the last 90deg bend in the TD42 hose which ends up pointing down will actually end up past the intake to the turbo.

I am thinking of getting someone local to weld a spigot for the rocker breather into some 3" stainless tube, then using some good quality flexible hose for the joins to turbo and filter box.

stu

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey people,

finally got the zd30 airbox just about sorted. only thing left is to replace the butchered silcon join and weld a barb onto the 3 inch pipe for crackcase breather.
heres a couple of pics.

so yeh happy as to finally being able to get rid of the GQ oval box that used to be ontop of the motor.

just gotta sort tout the crackcase breather line back to the intake pipe. thinking of getting a prevent 200 and run it through that so im getting clean air recirculating...

cheers

kyle

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi mate.
The lid is a zd30 lid that I ground down to about 3 inch. Was a tad bigger and was a pain to get on. Lol bit of hot water to loosen it up was all it took.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorted out rocker cover breather hose today. Replaced hose and got a boilermaker to weld in the barb on the 3 inch pipe. Have connected the hose from breather to intake until I get catch can sorted.

All good

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey stu4.2,

mate from what i can tell it seems to spool up earlier in the rev range and car seems lighter on its feet if you catch my drift.

definatly worth wild as my mind is starting to tick over for intercooler ideas.

cheers

kyle

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys, just s couple of photos with pipe painted and rockercover breather hose attached.

cheers

kyle

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice. But better of routing that return hose to a catch can rather than back onto the intake pipe. Will eventually fill up with gunk.... ? :confused:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeh plan is to get a provent 200 in a month or so. So yeh just for short
Term for now until i get some more cash for that.

Cheers mate

Kyle

·
Registered
nissan
48 Posts
Job well done. I'm about to source a zd30 box to do the very same thing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts