Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to fit the zd30 airbox into the GQ Patrol today and have hit a couple of snags. When I butt the airbox up to the hole in the inner guard it sits too high and I cant shut the bonnet and also the outlet is pointing at the aircon pipe (pic 1)

If I space it a bit away from the guard it sits a bit lower but is now even closer to the aircon pipe (pic 2 and 3)

Anyone know what to do here? Also, looking at the bottom of the airbox how do I attach it? Should there be something to attach to the plastic lug things? (yeah I know one of the plastic lugs is broken). Pics 4 and 5

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
822 Posts
It should bolt straight in. There are already holes in the inner guard lined up to take the 3 bolts...BUT...you will need the genuine bolts from the donor car to make it easier to do up and undo. The busted lug is from some hamfisted jerk who couldn't/wouldn't work on undoing the bolt coz it turned in the housing and just ripped it out. When it is fitted correctly the hole in the firewall does line up....but still needs a short length of silicone hose to join up with snorkel.
As for the bonnet hitting it ....just massage the bonnet into shape with a ball pein hammer and repaint after.
Have done this mod to mine ...and it was one of the best ones I have done to my truck.

HTH.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how did you alter the inlet to the airbox to get a silicon hose on it? Its a bit bigger than 3" I think. Did you use a reducer or something?

·
Registered
Nissan
822 Posts
how did you alter the inlet to the airbox to get a silicon hose on it? Its a bit bigger than 3" I think. Did you use a reducer or something?
Nope...the O/D of some 3" silicone straight hose fits neatly INSIDE the inlet of air cleaner.....and over the OUTSIDE of snorkel end.
To waterproof it and stop it from moving...I just Sikaflexed it into place...with a clamp around snorkel fitting.
Works pretty well.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think so 91.... I thought a td42 lid stuck out exactly at 90degrees whereas this one is angled towards engine a bit. Another guy questioned his lid on another forum and when I showed him mine it confirmed that he had been sold a td42 lid under the guise of a zd30 one... Does anyone have any pics so I can confirm though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
91, if it's the outlet that's making it look like a zd30 it's because I cut and ground off the square bit to make it round with a lip and removed the maf sensor

·
Registered
Nissan
822 Posts
That is definitely a ZD30 lid as it is the same as mine....which I KNOW is a ZD 30....coz I pulled it out the wrecked one.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
91, if it's the outlet that's making it look like a zd30 it's because I cut and ground off the square bit to make it round with a lip and removed the maf sensor

Ok
So you ground the Maf fitting off
Your aircon pipe is different to mine
All i had to do was cut a section out of the ARB battery cradle and bend the aircon pipe a little bit
I think i took a little bit off the bracket where the aircon pipe is bolted to just the corner
No panel work to the bonnet it does not touch it at all
Aircon pipes bend easily but don't kink it
It sits out from the inner guard (as in your 2nd photo) & a 3" silicon fits inside the inlet

Not the best photo but it all fits under the bonnet

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's weird, what year is yours? Mine sits really high. Did you use standard holes or have to drill new ones to get it away from the inner guard and lower?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where's your aircon pipe in that pic. Any chance of an overhead shot showing the airbox and the distance from inner wing

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
Mines a 91 SWB
All holes are factory but not the holes the original air cleaner was bolted to
Aircon pipe goes under the air cleaner outlet
I did have a metal bracket on the out side of the air cleaner i took off
It was pop riveted on with 2 metal pieces inside the box
I just pop riveted the 2 metal pieces back on in side the box with blind rivets
You will have to bend that aircon down, mines down touching the bottom lip of the ARB battery tray
I'll have get more photos tomorrow

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pics would be good thx.... Mine had 2 metal brackets pop riveted on as well. I just removed them and sealed holes up. How come you removed them and then put them back on again?

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
Pics would be good thx.... Mine had 2 metal brackets pop riveted on as well. I just removed them and sealed holes up. How come you removed them and then put them back on again?
The metal brackets do nothing
I just used them because it gives something for the pop rivets to hold on to.They are big rivets 3/16 i think
Sealing the holes up with silastic will do

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
The inlet sits 27mm out from the inner guard
I can see the mounting holes in your 4th picture
2 are about 20mm away from the holes with the captive nuts
1 is about 30mm away from a captive nut
Bolt the earth back to a captive nut
Your third picture looks about right
I have about 2mm clearence between the clip and the aircon pipe

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, I get what you mean with the brackets. I did the same thing as the holes were so big from the rivets.... In regard to the holes 20 & 30mm from the captive nuts, did you have to drill the holes or are they already there? Hard to tell from my pic.... If you had to drill them how did you mark them out? (hit and miss?)

Thanks for the help...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts