Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone living close to fremantle done this mod? I want o see how much battery tray I need to cut out etc. I have dual batteries in my shorty. Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once that was cut it fit? What about the front radiator support panel where it comes the the fender. It kinda cuts the corner. Can you get the lid on and off without modding that?

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
u ask , we deliver

Im in east freo mate , in today in you want a look , just done a td42t airbox install with cobra head , dual batts , I will pm you my number, over and out!.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
I used the existing holes in mine and chopped some of the lip out of the batt tray (ARB tray) and with some greatly appreciated advice from 91shorty at the time got it to fit no worries. Very tight, and not so easy to get lid on and off, but it fits!

But I couldn't do it with the cobra head mod as it hits the bonnet. I saw pics of one fella's car where he cut a chunk from underside of the bonnet... Hmm... Thanks but not for me that method.

White whale did you get cobra head on with airbox mounted in factory holes? How did you manage that? I'd be keen to do it if I can make it fit, but I cbf remounting the box though...

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
I mounted mine in the factory holes, just had to trim down the lip of the cobra head to lower it so it doesnt foul the bonnet. Don't have dual batteries though if that would even make any difference?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Yeah I cut enough off the cobra that I could just get the hose clamp on. Can't take any more off. I couldn't see the battery tray making a difference if air box is mounted in factory holes though.

I wonder if cutting a chunk out of the sound deadener mat thing would help?

I'm away on hols at the moment but I might revisit it when I get home.

Did you notice any difference to boost (ie air flow) when you did it if you didn't change anything else at the same time?

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
U like massage Mr!

My gq is in great cond too so I did think twice about modding things too much, but Yeah lee , I did cut a u shaped piece out of the bonnet liner, and had a mate on a step ladder hold the bonnet and using a tiny ball pein hammer with a piece of thin leather between it and the bonnet stay ( internal frame of bonnet) just massaged it enough to clear and then reglued the piece of liner back in , so its really not noticeable.

In a gq with a un modded base, gu airbox bolted to the gq holes , and cutting the cobra head down to its minimum, there's still never going to be enough clearance with out massaging.

Was it worth it , I believe so , It does boost just slightly earlier, also egt seemed less inclined to shoot up on acceleration< I did really monitor it , as I too wanted too see what effect it had, and as a overall piece of a well sorted air intake, then turbo , then dump and exhaust package , I am happy with the way its turned out.
( I also reasoned , a second hand white bonnet on gumtree was prob around 100-150 bucks if I ever need one.)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
iv just fitted mine. I used a gu ZD30 air box into a gq patrol, all the holes are there, no need to cut anything and it fits under the bonnet

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Yeah I cut enough off the cobra that I could just get the hose clamp on. Can't take any more off. I couldn't see the battery tray making a difference if air box is mounted in factory holes though.

I wonder if cutting a chunk out of the sound deadener mat thing would help?

I'm away on hols at the moment but I might revisit it when I get home.

Did you notice any difference to boost (ie air flow) when you did it if you didn't change anything else at the same time?
Yeah i did the same, trimmed her down so hose clamp could just go on. Yeah the way my piping runs (factory Ht18 piping) it goes nowhere near the 2nd batt spot, plus the cobra head can swivel.
Yeah i was told to do this when i first installed it, but decided i wasn't going down that route as my truck is in bloody good shape and didnt want to dodgy it. It closes just fine, it might be touching the bonnet liner with a tiny amount of pressure, but not enough to leave an indent after 10,000kms.

Definitely an improvement over std lid, i remember noticing she revved smoother and my EGTs run (non intercooled) between 250-300 cruising, peaking about 550 pushing up long inclines.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
iv just fitted mine. I used a gu ZD30 air box into a gq patrol, all the holes are there, no need to cut anything and it fits under the bonnet
Does the airbox have a cobra head?? The issue is fitting the zd box with a cobra head into a GQ

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
no cobra head, factory genuine ZD30 box, and genuine zd30 lid, doesnt hit the bonnet and bolts up, i fitted it yesterday with out problems. sits very close to the radiator support.if your in perth come around and have a look.

i dont have dual battey's but i do have an arb try which ill need to trim a little to make it fit, also im waiting to have my air box plumbed in. im using a pod filter right now so im hoping an air box will help with intake noise and egt's

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Yes it is well known that unmodified ZD box's will fit GQ's no problem.

·
Registered
nissan
498 Posts
I should have said before, but I had to trim quite a bit from the underside of the ZD box to lower it enough to clear the bonnet - didn't want to go down the track of cutting or modifying the bonnet to suit (just had the bonnet and sound deadener replaced brand new genuine Nissan parts)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
where does that brass nipple go?, my air box has a small hole in the bottom aswell, whats it for ?, I thought the air box was ment to be sealed ?

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
And I quote myself!

As I said-------

In a gq with a un modded base , a gu airbox bolted to the gq holes , and cutting the cobra head down to its minimum, there's still never going to be enough clearance with out massaging.

Just to be perfectly clear , You don't touch the outer part of the bonnet , its only the internal pressed frame on the edge that needs clearance , the outer part of the bonnet that you see , remains as normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts