1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righto,
Simple, DON'T DO IT, ITS SHTHOUSE! :p

I just got my 3" mandrel bent straight through exhaust fitted, and I can tell you its sht. It has a nice turbo whistle, lowers EGTs well, and brings the boost on earlier but it resonates like nothing else at 3500rpm and is FARKING annoying!

So now I'll have to get a muffler fitted to get rid of the resonation. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,737 Posts
heyhey....

I know what you mean. I've got a Beaudesert 3" with muffler on my GU4.2td, and it too can get droney when under load. It's mostly fine, but when working up a long haul, or pushing into a steady head wind, it can get pretty tiresome. I have gone back to the std exhaust, with the big dump, to see if the gains really are worth it. Well guess what? No surprises. It's much quieter, but EGT's are up, less boost and whistle, and it's lost a bit of zip (if 4.2's have zip). I'll probably end up with the 3" back on, and try to work it out from there. Maybe try getting a resonator or something into it somewhere.

Anyone had any luck with this sort of thing??

Cheers,
Geoff

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Any vids of the resonation mate?

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Dude considering I have the exact same thing...but seriously how often and for how long are you sitting at 3500 rpm ?

2500 rpm fair comment but 3500 not an issue for me

Cheers

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YouTube - Patrol 3" Exhaust sound

Benno, I can't hear the radio when its turned up.

Troy, well what can I say? Um, at least the 2.8 has that one thing to be proud of then :p

Akin, I regularly rev above 3500rpm, I don't live in the flat lands of SA :D, I can't get anywhere without going up long steep hills. Under load up hills its getting loud at about 2500rpm, but on flats its 3500rpm.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
128 Posts
Did i miss the thread about how good zd30's are???
I have a 3 inch straight pipe on my tdi42 and it sounds good, my mate has a 3 inch straight pipe on his 2.8 which sounds good, maybe its just a 4 cyl thing that makes them sound crap.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe its just a 4 cyl thing that makes them sound crap.
Thats somewhat true, but its mostly how it resonates through the pipe, if it had the right length, diameter and muffling (if needed) then it would sound **** hot I reckon. The variable vein turbo doesn't help either.

·
Registered
378 Posts
does it exit straight at the back or is there a dumpy tip on the exhaust as i was told a straight pipe drones and a dumpy tip doesnt i dont know how true it is .mine is a td42 straight through no mufflers with a dumpy tip and i have no drone

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does it exit straight at the back or is there a dumpy tip on the exhaust as i was told a straight pipe drones and a dumpy tip doesnt i dont know how true it is .mine is a td42 straight through no mufflers with a dumpy tip and i have no drone
No 'dumpy tip' that I can see or understand, sorry? A 4 banger is a bit different to the 6's.
Its dump pipe, highflow partical catcher dooverlacky, flex joint and pipe all 3" and gay! :punkrock:

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
That’s interesting. Mine doesn’t drone at all and I have a straight tip. At 3500rpm, I can’t even hear the exhaust, but I have 2 straight through resonators (hotdogs) fitted after the cat.

·
Registered
nissan partol gu 2
56 Posts
3500revs??? WTF... Are you trying to ring it's neck or something?? Mine has a hard time sitting on 3000revs... Get a "horrible grinding/loud howling sound" that comes and goes the faster I go... - might be the idler bearing...

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
^^^^what he said re 3500rpm

Who revs a zd30 at 3,500rpm for more than a moment.... that is wringing its neck

I run a 2.75 beaudesert zorst no muffler and no drone but I shift at 3000 rpm. I think if you put it on a dyno and check the torque curve you will find you are not getting much more if any above 3000-3200 rpm.

Auto Or CRD may be diifferent to my manual di

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
whats a highflow partical catcher dooverlaky?

thanks for the vid, yeah that would get annoying!

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pahaha, yes I do flog the f' out of it, it loves it! :rolleyes: You're talkin sht if you say you don't rev your ZD30 to 3500. I would love to see how much the drivers around you get pssed off cause your taking your sweet time getting anywhere. Red lining is ringing its neck, you still have 1500rpm to go from 3500 till you hit red line.

Benno your not wrong mate, I actually think the other half of my engine is missing, I swear I had twice the engine I have got :p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts