Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 gu zd30 nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i got a difficult one, i had a typical noisey belt that iv been tryn to repair. Iv tried taking the belt off and cleaning, cleaning all the pulleys until its sparkling!!!! Still no good. I bit the bullet and changed the belt $85, tensioner pulley $350, aircon bearing $120. The water pump and alternator was fine. Now the noise is not so loud but still gives a little "chirp" every belt rotation. Noise is more prominant when cold and goes away once the belt is warm. Nissan told me that there is nothing they can do. Any suggestions?? Thanks:headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall:

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Process of elimination.

With a spray bottle filled with water, apply onto the belt and see if it goes away or gets louder. Do the same with the water pump & alternator was well to identify the problem.

How did you conclude that the alternator bearing was fine?

·
Registered
2000 gu zd30 nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i took the car to the auto sparkie he told me that the aircon bearing was in need of changing but the alternator bearing was fine. Iv done about 1000klms on the new belt. I sprayed water on the belt and noise dissapeared straight away. Iv even gone to the length of putting a pipe to my ear to pinpoint where the chirp is coming from, its definitly coming from around the tensioner

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
is it definately the correct belt?
have seen belts that are ever so slightly to long. cause the auto tensioners to be at the limit of their travel and chirp a bit.
does it get better or worse with increase in rpm?
also is it a genuine belt or after market. not that it would make to much difference if its a dayco or gates belt. but some of the lesser ones are a bit average.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
also is it a genuine belt or after market. not that it would make to much difference if its a dayco or gates belt. but some of the lesser ones are a bit average.
With mine there was a difference, and it squaled its head off with the new Dayco one.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Did it stop squealing after a while or just junk
I've never had an issue with dayco belts personally but I haven't fitted it all
I just put the old Nissan one back on & threw the Dayco one in the draws with the tools.

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
I just put the old Nissan one back on & threw the Dayco one in the draws with the tools.
so note to self. if we see a hand grenade at work that needs a belt go genuine only.
yeah its strange but i guess there are some lemons amungst them all.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
so note to self. if we see a hand grenade at work that needs a belt go genuine only.
yeah its strange but i guess there are some lemons amungst them all.
The ZD belt being the serpentine type, with the dayco one fitted, you could watch the slight missalignment/tracking when running. It was a very small amount though which caused the noise. Still good as a spare though.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Pusslux. Easy fix to noisy belts is to hold a piece of blackboard chalk against the belt while the motor is running - yeah I know. I can already hear the cries of angst! This one has been used in workshops since whenever - serious old school fix. Will also work on tacky belts. If you are a bit of a pussy, flick a bit of limeflour onto the belt - a bit messy but will still work. Cheers, Derb.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Well I decided to clean the engine bay, & the friggen belt squeeled its head off for over 10 min, absolutely gave me the shi*$ so went looking for some candle wax.

No luck in finding any so I asked the neighbour for some chalk, & within a couple seconds of applying it, the noise was gone. I now carry the chalk in the glove box.

Thanks to Derb for the tip mate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts