Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan Safari
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this does not count as crap and is useful to someone else with a blown ZD30.

I previously sort info/advice if I could use the ZD30 block from a Navara D22, and its turbo. Most people told me it would not work or they are not compatible, Issued raised were the ESU want be able to read from it etc or something and the turbo may not work either, as you can tell, I'm not tech and this is my first rebuild.

I originally purchased a 2000 SWB Patrol 3ltr with the typical blown motor, the previous owner removed the block and turbo, so I was left with boxes of nuts/bolts/parts. I then purchased a wrecked Navara with ZD30 motor (D22).

I ad issues with the ZD30 block from the D22 Navara not being drilled to the specs of my patrol bell housing, but a few holes tapped here and there and that was overcome!. Next was the issue over which turbo etc, I had to utilise the Navara manifold, attach the turbo, then modified the exhaust to marry up etc and made a new oil return pipe.
All appears to be running great (so far). I have not had any techno gadget man put it on any testing machines, did have a problem getting a warrant as the ABS light would not go out and after getting a price for a new one - $5500 (I told him I didn't want a new *$%# engine, just the ABS module!), I took to it with a hammer, and presto - it now works!! So I'm a happy man, unless readers can think of issues i'm about to face??

I am averaging 700+ km per tank and it appears to sound exactly the same as our factory work Patrol with same engine etc.

Turbo time maybe next item, also replace the 16" to 17" wheels to save cash down the track.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thats great mate. I am glad that it all worked out for you. It sounde better than spending the $14000 or so that I did lol

Reactions: FergNZ

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
nice to hear you got it drilled/tapped ok.

see how it goes. someone here fitted navara turbo but ran into limp mode issues cause by the turbo breathing difference.
on the plus side there is a couple of upgraded turbos for the navara which may work really well.

·
Registered
nissan Safari
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, not up to play on air intake issues with turbos etc, but assume the ECU will kick start the turbo as per patrol data, and would the ecu know what type of turbo is there, as long as there is one? perhaps I need to invest in monitoring.guages?? any suggestions??

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
gauges are a must have !

navara generally runs more boost (15psi stock but up to 18psi with exhaust mods) but dosn't have the low rpm boost the patrol has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts