Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first post, just thought i woud see if any has been doing any mods to the engine on the new zd30
I have a gu ute and so far i have put a garret gt28 on it full three inch exhaust.
Front mount intercooler
Chip it chip
Block off egr vavle
The ute was making 90 rwhp standed on 35inch tyres
Before i changed turbos it was making 150rwhp yet to dyno it with new set up
Has any one tried any of these mods on a zd30 common rail?

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Welcome aboard Justautos. If you have a dig around you will find that several of the mods you mention have been installed by people on the CRD.

You are the first one that I have read with a front intercooler. Tell us more about it.
Also why did you go from the garret on it to the GT28. Does it spool up quicker off idle?

Tell us a bit more.. Also whereabouts are you located?

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brad i am in QLD sunshine coast
I have a mechanic workshop and have been playing around my gu for 6 months or so
The front mount is realy good works well
The turbo has a little bit lag but has a custom mainfold made up and has 6 psi at about 2,000 rpm
I went for a gt28 due to the power i want, It pulls very hard up top where i will beat a 4.2 turbo gq with the same size turbo and 11mm pump runing 22psi
im running 26 psi in it at this time but will be putting more boost in soon.
I have found with this size turbo my egt are now safe.

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Hi Justautos, sounds like a wild setup for your CRD GU. Do you work with/for Matt over there or are you Matt?

I also have a 3" system, chipit chip and egr blocked. Works well together.
Does the CRD have the GT20 out of the factory? Tell us more about your wild ute mate.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
26 pounds and looking for more.....................I will wait for the tears.

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Standand it has the garret turbo which is varable vane
I went to the gt 28 as it helps with lowering egt
Varable vane turbos are great for standed setups but not good for big horsepower

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just put car on dyno and made 185rwhp at 20psi with the same tune it it before
Going to put 26 psi and more fuel in soon trying for 200 at the wheels with 35inch tyres

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
kewl. post up some dyno sheets.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Varable vane turbos are great for standed setups but not good for big horsepower
Interesting. Porsche is using variable turbos on its latest 911 turbo and that isnt short on HP or slow.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Somehow I think that Porsche would spend just a tad more time and money in the development of the turbo, than Nissan would have on the whole of the GU.

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im sure the porsche is a petrol not a diesel and the compresion ratio would be from 8-10 to 1 ratio not 18-24 to one

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Somehow I think that Porsche would spend just a tad more time and money in the development of the turbo, than Nissan would have on the whole of the GU.
Two Up read the thread was not talking about Nissan's development of turbos so your comment is out of context.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
im sure the porsche is a petrol not a diesel and the compresion ratio would be from 8-10 to 1 ratio not 18-24 to one
Yes the porsche is a petrol but dont think that implies that a variable vane turbo would not perform on a diesel. Most german and freanch manufactures use variable vane turbos on their diesels and make 170kw+ from their std 3l.

If you are just looking at a peak HP a fixed vane turbo will do the same a fixed vane (not less) but if you want power at lower rpm as well the variable vane produces more boost at lower rpm and provides that as well.

Your figures look good. Good luck with the project and i look fwd to hearing more.

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks john yes i know what u are saying and yeah varable vane turbo are great but for mine the little turbo carnt handle what im putting through it
I would love to upgrade the varable vane turbo but the cost is not worth it. A waste gate turbo has loads more mid range and top end power due to the air it can flow out the exhaust housing but has poor low down boost but with the low gearing in a patrol this is not a proublem for me
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Obviously

What I was trying to say, obviously not well, is that Porsche, and most of the high performance car makers spend sheet loads of money on turbo design and testing and probably hundreds if not thousands of hours on the dyno and the road. Nissan and the rest of the middle tier would spend nowhere near as much on this 1 aspect of a car.

Its good to see someone having a go at improving the power output non electronically.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts