Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Simpsons 50th, GU Patrol 2012
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My turbo is making a whine and is on its way out, wondering what options are out there, and what people have done.
I am not after power gains i just want reliability,

Thanks.

3.0L crd, 2012 model

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,227 Posts
Hey,
My turbo is making a whine and is on its way out, wondering what options are out there, and what people have done.
I am not after power gains i just want reliability,

Thanks.

3.0L crd, 2012 model
Be wary of some ebay specials. Are you sure it is the turbo and not a split hose or leaking exhaust manifold, neither are uncommon on older vehicles, I would suggest you pull the inlet bend off the front of the turbo and have a good look at the inlet tract and compwheel for witness marks of damage, you can also give the compwheel a wriggle to see if there is any side play, there should be a small amount but not enough for the compwheel to contact the inlet throat. There should be no longitudinal play. Check those things out and get back to us.

·
Registered
Simpsons 50th, GU Patrol 2012
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea mate, has a bit to much play, and i put the stethoscope on its definitely the turbo, been looking at the CCT Stage One Billet Turbocharger,
No way would i go ebay for that sort of stuff, i have seen what happens

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,227 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,227 Posts
I have the very first ZD30 eclipse, got over 17,000k on it so far.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0 Di
429 Posts
The genuine turbo us a good safe bet, I agree.
But I think the eclipse is no less reliable, and would definitely be safer.
It makes so much more boost more easily, your EGT's would never be a problem.
On a stock turbo and engine, you can quite easily get into the danger zone EGT's if you hold it WOT for long enough. That just would never be able to happen with an eclipse...
Eclipse would also be a significant improvement on a stock engine for anyone towing.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,227 Posts
As I've said in my build thread, the Eclipse design was based on losing nothing down low when compared to the std gt2052, as far as my experience goes it achieved that quite easily.
I'm not tied to them, I get nothing out of saying what I do, that just isn't me.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,006 Posts
As for reliability, consider them precision devices - they turn like 150000 rpm and are subject to considerable thermal and mechanical stresses despite being fairly lightweight components the rpm gives allot of inertia. I’ve learnt they’re reliable provided they’re built to tolerance and are balanced properly when rebuilt. Then they will last unless the oil cooling or if they are also coolant cooled that goes wrong, or if your doing something outside of specifications like way too much boost outside the compressors zone or the turbine is the wrong size for the exhaust back pressure etcetc.

Even delicate ceramic wheels, in my rx7 I threw a rotor and lunched the engine in a big way and despite all that the ceramic compressor wheel was fine despite crap being all through the intercooler and the turbine inlet.

its Kinda cool when you think about it - how much life abd reliability we get from such a precision, stressed device. One lasting 150000klns odd is a good job and a credit to the science and industry of them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.