Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
385 Posts
The previous owner of my 2002 wagon religiously used a fuel additive (flashlube) since new and looked after it, but was stock standard... no NADS. Since I've had it, I've fitted NADS and added another 30,000kms, and have kept using either Moreys, Flashlube or Liquidmoly additive every tank fill. The engine has done nearly 200K now.
After reading this thread, I'm pencilling in replacing my injectors at 250K. If she lasts that long.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,049 Posts
The previous owner of my 2002 wagon religiously used a fuel additive (flashlube) since new and looked after it, but was stock standard... no NADS. Since I've had it, I've fitted NADS and added another 30,000kms, and have kept using either Moreys, Flashlube or Liquidmoly additive every tank fill. The engine has done nearly 200K now.
After reading this thread, I'm pencilling in replacing my injectors at 250K. If she lasts that long.
i think if you use good fuel, plus additive for your fuel, by the time at 250k, if no smoke at all when driving hard, then the injector will last toward 300k. i have see many diesel injector reach beyond 300k without any issues. my car has done only 120k so far, when i am driving very hard with caravan at the back, there is no smoke at all. i too, use additive on each tank fill, plus, most time i am using bp ultimate.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Strange, isn't it, my injectors are originals and they have 310,000k on them now..... So do my Glow Plugs for that matter have had them out a couple of times and they look fine so I keep putting them back and leave the metal ones I bought on the shelf.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
My bottom end was rebuilt by previous owner with a new pump but the injectors were never replaced (Dont know why)
The whole top end was rebuilt with new gaskets, injectors seals, injector buckets the whole lot that came from SMS Diesel, was a very expensive top end rebuild considering i did all the labour myself.

It just comes to show that even though NAD's is extremely important it still doesn't cover all bases.
I have since been told that these ZD injectors should be replaced at 300k and if you check your workshop manual I am pretty sure it tells you to replace them as well.

Anyway its a bugger, I decided to give the ZD a chance when rebuilding it but now I can't put my mind to rebuilding it again, i am putting in a 2004 TD42Ti which will have a very safe tune and hopefully leave me trouble free.

I really do recommend for you guys to inspect your injectors / replace them id hate to see this happen to another person especially after spending thousands of dollars on a rebuild and this to happen not long after.

Reactions: geordie4x4

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
327.000 so far, original engine. I would work on the injectors only and only if i relate the potential trouble to injectors (black smoke, lack of power, rough idle, difficult to accelerate etc). Otherwise, i would not touch it "there" ....

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
327.000 so far, original engine. I would work on the injectors only and only if i relate the potential trouble to injectors (black smoke, lack of power, rough idle, difficult to accelerate etc). Otherwise, i would not touch it "there" ....
I thought the same thing mate, I never knew an injector could "fail" as such i just thought they could play and make your motor run ****ty due to lack of fuel, in my case it failed and blew a hole through the piston with no warning what so ever.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My bottom end was rebuilt by previous owner with a new pump but the injectors were never replaced (Dont know why)
The whole top end was rebuilt with new gaskets, injectors seals, injector buckets the whole lot that came from SMS Diesel, was a very expensive top end rebuild considering i did all the labour myself.

It just comes to show that even though NAD's is extremely important it still doesn't cover all bases.
I have since been told that these ZD injectors should be replaced at 300k and if you check your workshop manual I am pretty sure it tells you to replace them as well.

Anyway its a bugger, I decided to give the ZD a chance when rebuilding it but now I can't put my mind to rebuilding it again, i am putting in a 2004 TD42Ti which will have a very safe tune and hopefully leave me trouble free.

I really do recommend for you guys to inspect your injectors / replace them id hate to see this happen to another person especially after spending thousands of dollars on a rebuild and this to happen not long after.
Some will tell you 100,000, some will tell you 200,000 and some will say 300,000, somewhere among all the mix of ongoing maintenance factors lies the truth, there are still many, many early ZD30DI owners out there who are blissfully unaware they drive a so called 'Grenade'. We have always said NADS is not a cure all but it is a very good aid in keeping the wolf from the door and the EGT gauge is your best friend.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
@geeyoutoo - tottaly agree with you. Aint the cure, but it's the best medicine ever. My thought is that NADS came as a result of fully understanding how a Diesel engine works and particular how ZD30 works. I've been here for about 5 years now, read almost everything concerning ZD30 and applied your shared knowledge and have no regrets about it.
An injector such as the ones fitted on our trolls is (in my opinion) kind of difficult to destroy/blow/whatever. The ones fitted on CRD systems is another story. Reading your forums for quite some time led me to the conclusion that the fuel in your country is not very clean. Of course, that is my opinion only, based upon what i've read here and other testimonials. Not that in my country is any better, but here injectors and pumps fail due to the fact that many owners change the fuel filters once every 30.000km (even more) and they get fuel from unknown sources. Myself, dont know yet any case of failed injector due to high mileage.

A very common car here is Dacia Logan (Renault Logan) 1.5 dCi. Using Delphi injectors, they're known to fail because of the iron from the pump (s...ty design). Most of them are used as taxi cars, so you can imagine they are pretty abused and trust me - their maintenance is only on papers. If the diesel owner changes the fuel filter once every 30-40k, the gasoline owner once every 60-70k. You do the math. I have a friend that owns a diesel one and went to 650.000, but the maintenance was no joke. The rust ate the car, but the engine was sold to somebody before the car went to junk yard. He changed 3 IP, 5 clutches etc etc.. ... and no injector. He fitted some kind of filter to keep dirt coming from IP to the injectors. But paid off...
Anyway ... sorry to hear about your trouble ... let's hope it wont drill a huge hole in your budget ... cause after all ...this is where it hurts most...the wallet.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
503 Posts
@geeyoutoo - tottaly agree with you. Aint the cure, but it's the best medicine ever. My thought is that NADS came as a result of fully understanding how a Diesel engine works and particular how ZD30 works. I've been here for about 5 years now, read almost everything concerning ZD30 and applied your shared knowledge and have no regrets about it.
An injector such as the ones fitted on our trolls is (in my opinion) kind of difficult to destroy/blow/whatever. The ones fitted on CRD systems is another story. Reading your forums for quite some time led me to the conclusion that the fuel in your country is not very clean. Of course, that is my opinion only, based upon what i've read here and other testimonials. Not that in my country is any better, but here injectors and pumps fail due to the fact that many owners change the fuel filters once every 30.000km (even more) and they get fuel from unknown sources. Myself, dont know yet any case of failed injector due to high mileage.

A very common car here is Dacia Logan (Renault Logan) 1.5 dCi. Using Delphi injectors, they're known to fail because of the iron from the pump (s...ty design). Most of them are used as taxi cars, so you can imagine they are pretty abused and trust me - their maintenance is only on papers. If the diesel owner changes the fuel filter once every 30-40k, the gasoline owner once every 60-70k. You do the math. I have a friend that owns a diesel one and went to 650.000, but the maintenance was no joke. The rust ate the car, but the engine was sold to somebody before the car went to junk yard. He changed 3 IP, 5 clutches etc etc.. ... and no injector. He fitted some kind of filter to keep dirt coming from IP to the injectors. But paid off...
Anyway ... sorry to hear about your trouble ... let's hope it wont drill a huge hole in your budget ... cause after all ...this is where it hurts most...the wallet.
With a neglect of proper service nothing lasts forever. The downside of failed injector in diesel engine is that it causes a great carnage inside the motor if not revealed in time.

Any idea what is the Nissan formal replay to the grenade "phenomenon" ?
I doubt you find some statements. There is a bulletin regarding oil viscosity. Changes were made to the engine mostly in silence to not drag too much attention to the problems & poorly engineered details.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Any idea what is the Nissan formal replay to the grenade "phenomenon" ?
It depends where you are, and now totally irrelevant as we have investigated and documented this many times over the years and somewhere quite a while ago I posted an article I got hold of from Germany about engines being replaced in EU in the early stages, that never happened outside of EU and we were not sure it was for the same thing, so in reality it doesn't matter any more.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,086 Posts
I thought the same thing mate, I never knew an injector could "fail" as such i just thought they could play and make your motor run ****ty due to lack of fuel, in my case it failed and blew a hole through the piston with no warning what so ever.
Matt,

Whats the chance of getting the injector from the cylinder that went tested? I'd be interested to know

·
Registered
nissan patrol
56 Posts
GU2,

Here (Israel) Nissan replaced a few grenaded ZDs too.

Just last week (here), Toyota got to a compromise agreement with the plaintiff due to a class action lawsuit on the land cruiser 90 collapsing front ball joints.

Toyota are not admitting the flup, BUT would compensate any owner who lost his front wheel while driving in $$$ (about 1800 aud) and would check and repair all cars for the next i dont remember how many years.

you guys (Australia) had a recall on the lc ball joint: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado | Product Safety Australia

much like the on the zd: country A - nothing. / country B - replace

what I am trying to argue is - how come in Australia the grenading ZD have never got to court?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
GU2,

Here (Israel) Nissan replaced a few grenaded ZDs too.

Just last week (here), Toyota got to a compromise agreement with the plaintiff due to a class action lawsuit on the land cruiser 90 collapsing front ball joints.

Toyota are not admitting the flup, BUT would compensate any owner who lost his front wheel while driving in $$$ (about 1800 aud) and would check and repair all cars for the next i dont remember how many years.

you guys (Australia) had a recall on the lc ball joint: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado | Product Safety Australia

much like the on the zd: country A - nothing. / country B - replace

what I am trying to argue is - how come in Australia the grenading ZD have never got to court?
There was one court case a few years ago but it was a single, there has been no class actions that I'm aware of. I am aware of a few that were fixed under warranty though. I'm aware of a Prado that "grenaded" recently :).

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
There was one court case a few years ago but it was a single, there has been no class actions that I'm aware of. I am aware of a few that were fixed under warranty though. I'm aware of a Prado that "grenaded" recently :).
Yep. There all the same, met up with one of my builders yesty to check out a job.
Where's ya hilux ****, blew it up 2 weeks ago... 180 on the clock. That was only a year after doing the injectors @4k worth. 2010 model.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Matt,

Whats the chance of getting the injector from the cylinder that went tested? I'd be interested to know
I couldn't even tell you which one it is to be honest they've been mixed together, I have thrown them out as I don't want them getting mixed up with anything else and I am certainly not selling them to anyone else

Maybe the injector isn't entirely stuffed and it just "played" up for a microsecond causing such a huge disaster, I'm no expert but going off the visual appearance on the injector everything has lead back to a faulty injector
I don't blame the motor for this and I can't be stereotyped and say there a **** hole motor because I haven't owned the motor for its entire lifespan but the fact that's its already been rebuilt previous times doesn't give me much confidence and getting another one especially because if this happens again I am literally left with no money what so ever to fix it

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,049 Posts
if you read US F150/250 truck forum, there are lots of discussion about holed pistons from big ford diesel engines due to injector faulty. so looks like the zd30's issue may partially related to the bad injectors as well.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Nowhere in the workshop manual does it tell you to replace them either
I guess its one of those things that should start playing up and show signs of wear but in some cases they just fail and cause a mess

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

I have been doing some reading though the threads on here and other pages but can’t seem to get a definite answer on the year of the patrols that had the ‘Grenade’ issues.

I believe the ‘Grenade’ years go from 2000s to early/mid 2003?

Is this correct,

Any help on this would be much appreciate.

Kind regards

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hi all,

I have been doing some reading though the threads on here and other pages but can’t seem to get a definite answer on the year of the patrols that had the ‘Grenade’ issues.

I believe the ‘Grenade’ years go from 2000s to early/mid 2003?

Is this correct,

Any help on this would be much appreciate.

Kind regards
It is mentioned in many articles, especially a sticky in buying a Nissan Patrol, 2000-2002 were the worst, 2003 started to get more attention. 2000-2002 also gets a mention in the first post here.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts