Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got the NATS finally sorted out on my zd30 patrol and now I’m having issues with the injection pump. It cranks over but won’t fire. It seems like the injection pump is not making pressure for some reason. When I crack the injectior lines and crank the engine over the fuel only drizzles out. I would assume it should squirt out at very high pressure. The fuel primer also doesn’t stay hard when I pump it. there is fuel going to the pump and the primer is working because fuel comes out when I take the hose off to the pump and pump it. fuel comes out the return line when cranking. I’ve checked all the glow plugs and they all work fine. Fuses and relays are all fine. Not sure what the issue is and if it is the injection Pump then I want to be 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,533 Posts
Well, if your Patrol was running fine before you started intoducing the NATs mods, you most probably did something wrong.

Did you plug back ALL connectors, EGR included (MAF, MAP... etc) ?

Do you get any error code from your ECU ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it has never been started. The previous owner had put a reco motor in it with his old injection pump but he never got it running because he couldn’t get the transmission bolted back on. I bought it and got everything all bolted back on then tried to start it but no luck :( The red light on top of the dash was on when cranking and it was throwing the 1401 to 1408 code, Nissan anti theft system. I ended up getting a new ecu that bypasses the NATS and the code seems to have gone away. I do have another code now which is 0702, top dead centre pulse signal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a new crank position sensor and some new fuel line to go from the filter to the ip, the return line and from the tank line to the filter. i took the glow plugs out and cracked the injector line but fuel only just drizzles out and the hand primer still won’t stay firm. I tightened the injector lines back up and it seems to be spraying out plenty of fuel out of the glow plug holes. Hand primer still won’t stay firm. Put everything back together but it still won’t start, nothing seems to make sense. If it’s getting fuel it should start but why is the primer not staying firm and fuel only drizzles out when I crack the injector lines. If it’s only drizzling out I would have thought there wasn’t enough pressure for fuel to come out the injectors but it looks fine when I took out the glow plugs. Nothing really makes sense at this point and I don’t know what to do from here. Would be appreciated if anyone could give me some ideas on what might be happening.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
1,202 Posts
there are two main problems
1. you need to change the injection pump (you yourself will not repair it)
2. the gear is broken (you can drain the oil and see if there are gear fragments in the oil)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are two main problems
1. you need to change the injection pump (you yourself will not repair it)
2. the gear is broken (you can drain the oil and see if there are gear fragments in the oil)
It should be fine tho because the pump worked fine before it was put onto a new motor. I’ll drain the oil tho and see if there’s any metal in it

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
1,202 Posts
the breakdown is always unexpected, here in another topic a friend cannot start the engine, he has the same error, only on the comonrail, at first I thought that he had electronics, but he took a photo and mechanical damage is visible and the gear is probably broken there, it is possible on your motor only fuel injection pump, it is still very old

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
1,202 Posts
0702 (P2.TDC PULSE SIG) - the synchronization of the injection pump rotation sensor and the TDC (crankshaft) sensor is out of sync (malfunction of the injection pump or its wiring, TDC sensor, idle gear).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the breakdown is always unexpected, here in another topic a friend cannot start the engine, he has the same error, only on the comonrail, at first I thought that he had electronics, but he took a photo and mechanical damage is visible and the gear is probably broken there, it is possible on your motor only fuel injection pump, it is still very old
Yes well the old motor the pump was on that seized had 320,000 kms on it so it probably didn’t have much left in it anyway. It doesn’t make sense to why it’s not staying tho because it is getting fuel. Maybe just not enough

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
0702 (P2.TDC PULSE SIG) - the synchronization of the injection pump rotation sensor and the TDC (crankshaft) sensor is out of sync (malfunction of the injection pump or its wiring, TDC sensor, idle gear).
Could it be timed incorrectly? I replaced the crank position sensor, not sure if it made a difference but I cleared the code and it hasn’t come back yet. i also drained the oil like you said and there was no signs of any metal. Nothing in the filter either

·
Registered
nissan patrol 4x4
142 Posts
You need to check the IP timing first, you are picking up from when it was replaced, by who knows what they have cocked up or what has happened. Pull the bung out where the idler bolt locks the scissor timing and see if the lock bolt hole is clear, that at least quickly tells you if the scissor gear has been locked out previously when the IP was installed.
Reg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to check the IP timing first, you are picking up from when it was replaced, by who knows what they have cocked up or what has happened. Pull the bung out where the idler bolt locks the scissor timing and see if the lock bolt hole is clear, that at least quickly tells you if the scissor gear has been locked out previously when the IP was installed.
Reg
Yeah who knows. I’ll have a look at that today. Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I’m just going to put a new pump in. I found one for $750 from a wrecker with 220,000 km on it with warranty. Will I have to remove the intake manifold to remove the pump?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
1,202 Posts
there it is important to block the frenzied gear, you don’t need to remove the manifold, you need to remove the EGR, the tubes from the injectors, you must immediately buy new seals for the injectors, carefully remove and install the wire to the injection pump

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there it is important to block the frenzied gear, you don’t need to remove the manifold, you need to remove the EGR, the tubes from the injectors, you must immediately buy new seals for the injectors, carefully remove and install the wire to the injection pump
Okay well I’m thinking I might remove the manifold anyway because it seems to have a fair bit of carbon buildup on the inside. There’s a kit online with all the seals required to change the pump so I’m assuming it should come with the injectors seals too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts