Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol Y61 2000
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install an engine bay mounted liftpump on my 2000 y61 with zd30-engine, and with an additional switch for running it as a primer pump after filter change...
I dont have access to the lift-pumps mentioned in various threads, so what pressure should it deliver (mounted before the fuel filter)?
Also, on my diesel filter holder, there is some sort of valve next to the primer pump, that i'm told is there to take care of air during priming, and send the air down the return hose....
My conclusion is this: if i mount an enging bay pump and it draws small amont of air due to a leakage between the tank and the pump, this "air-valve" would take care of it and prevent air to enter the injection pump....?
Am i on the right path, or rambling around in the woods here?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
409 Posts
Not got that extra bit circled in red on my 2002 zd30...
Regarding pump, anything that can maintain around 10psi should be OK. Main thing to look for is good volume due to fuel return, needs around 100gph if I remember correctly.
Lastly, if you can mount at the back of the truck it helps prevent sucking air if you have a leak (with positive pressure in lines you can easy spot leaks).

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,538 Posts
I'm planning to install an engine bay mounted liftpump on my 2000 y61 with zd30-engine, and with an additional switch for running it as a primer pump after filter change...
I dont have access to the lift-pumps mentioned in various threads, so what pressure should it deliver (mounted before the fuel filter)?
Also, on my diesel filter holder, there is some sort of valve next to the primer pump, that i'm told is there to take care of air during priming, and send the air down the return hose....
My conclusion is this: if i mount an enging bay pump and it draws small amont of air due to a leakage between the tank and the pump, this "air-valve" would take care of it and prevent air to enter the injection pump....?
Am i on the right path, or rambling around in the woods here? View attachment 532407
Hmm! My old 2000DI doesn't have that bit either so can't comment on what it would do. I agree with Tess and I've done the job many years ago, writing it up in my build thread (link in sig, index first post) and another thread lift pump, yes yes another one
I'm not a fan of fitting lift pumps under bonnet. The ZD30 iP (VP44) can handle 16psi input no worries, after fitting my Carter 4600 I decided to up the pressure further by fitting the Carter 4601 which is capable of 16psi but once friction comes into the equation it drops to 13psi Max with normal operation pressure just over 10psi.
After much research on lift pumps when I was working in the States I became a big fan of the Carter range, very cost effective, you should be able to buy any fuel pump you wish online, that was how I got mine. 10's of thousands of K on my current 4601, trouble free.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
145 Posts
Am i on the right path, or rambling around in the woods here? View attachment 532407
I belive the circled bit is on the cold climate models. I have a similar thing on my 2.8 y60 here in iceland. I think that the lift pump needs to go below fuel tank hight so it gets fed properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,538 Posts
I belive the circled bit is on the cold climate models. I have a similar thing on my 2.8 y60 here in iceland. I think that the lift pump needs to go below fuel tank hight so it gets fed properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that, had not seen that on any AU models.
Re lift pump location, the Carter can suck fuel easy enough where as some others may not, but I'm old school and like to have gravity assist me as much as possible :). I've done the same with my Water Meth injection pump, I will never need to prime it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol Y61 2000
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs so far.. i wasnt including fuel return in my calculations, so i almost went for a pump with smaller capasity....
The reason for wanting to mount it in the engine bay is that here they salt the roads during winter, and everything underneath, especially electrical stuff is very prone to corrosion.. hence engine bay would be a much more protected location...
Iæll have a look at the carter pumps... does any of you monitor the fuel pressure by a gauge or something?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,538 Posts
Thanks for the inputs so far.. i wasnt including fuel return in my calculations, so i almost went for a pump with smaller capasity....
The reason for wanting to mount it in the engine bay is that here they salt the roads during winter, and everything underneath, especially electrical stuff is very prone to corrosion.. hence engine bay would be a much more protected location...
Iæll have a look at the carter pumps... does any of you monitor the fuel pressure by a gauge or something?
I installed a fuel pressure gauge, actually can be a handy tool but higher fuel pressure gives a clearer picture, ie, my original 4600 would show 0 on the gauge by 2500 after being at 4.5psi at idle (about the average for general lift pumps), after going to the 4601 it idled at 12-13psi and dropped to 9psi at WOT, my guage has an adjustable high and low alarm, I don't utilise the high but found the low to be very handy, I have the low setting off the alarm at 8.5psi, once this goes off I monitor it and when it starts to go off regular I change the fuel filter. Some fuel filters last longer than the service period but one went off after only around 16,000k, bad fuel load while away on an outback trip.
Food for thought...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts