Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu111
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZD30 III, 2003 patrol with provent catch can, blanked ERG, needle and dawes valves, done 330,000km, has developed severe oil leaks at the front and rear of the engine, as if pressure has built up and blown the seals. otherwise she runs perfectly, no exhaust smoke, mechanic says it's an engine out to fix .... any ideas what could have caused the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,561 Posts
As long as the leak isn't very severe then why worry,as the landrover lads say
'if there isn't any oil under it -there is no oil in it' ....

Again depending on how bad the leak is,common leaks are rear crank seals,and the most common one is intercooler oil leaks,the oil then runs down around the engine and you would think the leak is coming from under the vehicle.

I wouldn't care aslong as the leak isn't too bad,i have an intercooler leak and i loose some oil but it's so slight that it's not worth worrying over.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu111
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZD30 Oil Leaks

Thanks, but the IC is fine no leaks there or around the rocker cover - oil leaks are definitely lower down and pretty severe.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,561 Posts
Could very well be the rear crank seal so,if that's the case then yes it possibly is engine in/out job....

Worth a look on the search here too for other oil leak stories.

Best o luck.

Reactions: TomB

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Yes rear main and front crank seal by the sounds. Just make sure its not from higher at the rear. I suspected rear main once, it was no4 glow plug seal spewing oil down the engine and dripping from bell housing.

Im no mechanic but if rear main seal is leaking, engine doesnt have to come out at all, at least not when I helped the fitter at work do the rear main on the landcrap work ute. just gearbox and flywheel/clutch off.

Reactions: TomB

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
When my rear main was done, geabox/flywheel/clutch came out.... once you've spent half a day taking that all out, then its only a 10min job :) (and another half day to put it all back together.

Have you tried cleaning the engine down and trying to locate to origin of the leak.

Common places that I've had more major leaks, joint where sump/block/timing cover meet (that would look like it was coming from behind the Aircon compressor. I've also had the glowplug seal leak and that spewed oil all down the back of the motor.

Give it a clean down, then you'll have a start point to try an locate the problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts