Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just had the radiator replaced on my 2006 Patrol as the original one had holes in the core. My mechanic replaced the cap that goes on the radiator itself but installed a 2-stage cap there instead of the one without the pressure valve.

Reading the handbook it clearly states the one on the rad MUST not have the pressure valve. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Well it should just be a blanking cap and the pressure cap should be on the top overflow bottle.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
86 Posts
When my rad was replaced they fitted to standard caps. The one on the radiator has a higher blow off than the one on the expansion tank.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Pressure cap only goes on the pressure reservoir, not the radiator. Rad is blanked as its only an air release, the pressure vessel has a bleed cap and then there is the coolant reservoir that is blank capped but open to atmosphere

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I had a what I thought was a reputable mech do substantial work on my GU some time back. He fitted two pressure caps. I since changed them back to OE caps. Nissan do it that way for a reason.
Most mechanics seem to have no idea what they are doing unfortunately and its the customer who foots the bill.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

Reactions: heyhey

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
They all learn their trade at a point in time, but technology in the auto industry evolves fast. Their education comes at the expense of the client.

Can talk from experience there

Reactions: dronus4x4

·
Registered
nissan patrol
127 Posts
I was just about the ask this question but you guys has already answer it. I've got a couple of coolant leaks coming from the engine,(front housing and radiator intake pipe) nothing to panic about yet. I'd say caused by the radiator having a pressure relief cap on it

I picked up the correct ones from Nizzbits

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,113 Posts
I was just about the ask this question but you guys has already answer it. I've got a couple of coolant leaks coming from the engine,(front housing and radiator intake pipe) nothing to panic about yet. I'd say caused by the radiator having a pressure relief cap on it

I picked up the correct ones from Nizzbits
you are just lucky find the problem in time. if you had a long trip, then the engine would have been damaged due to leaking too much coolant.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts