Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Going to start a rebuild on the zd30 and was just wondering if the pistons in the kits that are advertised on flea bay are all right or should I get some genuine ones?
Also the engine Im rebuilding is a 2001 so was it a drama with the piston oilers on earlier ones, was told that after 2003 the piston oilers were enlarged to help cool pistons??
Mine is a 2004, but bein a work vehicle, want to rebuild this one while mine is still going and swap out (mine is dusted).
oh and what of the dual mass flywheel, should I get rid of it and run normal? Have heard that vibration comes and issue?
Cheers
Zappa:p

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cmon guys,
whose rebuilt a 2001? did you use a standard kit or use genuine pistons?
Zappa

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,468 Posts
I remember reading a re-build not long ago, the bloke used forged pistons instead of the normal. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a bit of a search, cant find anything on that build,
Dont want to buy a kit and find out after that there were better pistons available.
Cheers Zappa

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Hi,
Give Martin White at John White Race engines in Brisbane a ring on 0733917533

He should be able to help you out. The Nissan pistons are Hypereutectic (High Silicon alloy) I believe. If forged pistons are not already available for the 3l he can get them made.

Do you have a good machine shop handy as I would be enlarging the oil galleys as well as getting a larger capacity sump if possible. I believe this is what Nissan did to fix the 3l failure problem.

Clevite bearings are also another quality product along with Sealed power piston rings for an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
I done mine 12 months ago, just got all non genuine pistons, rings, bearings, head gasket and gasket kit all parts were supplyed by my local auto 1. think it cost me about $1500 for the parts

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many kays have you done, To get a set of forged pistons made up would cost a heap,
Apart from oil capacity, what about piston oilers are they all the same thru the years?
Cheers
Brad, up with the performance stuff, never heard of a 3l spinning bearings, I know what your saying as far as galleries go, I can get a kit just dont want to redo it with inferior products, is a work car and I do a heap of kays.
Zappa

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Check with Martin about the pistons. Clevite are the top end of quality in bearings and last forever. I have not seen a spun bearing for many, many years now.

Have fun with the rebuild. It would be interesting to see how they respond with a port and polish on the head and if bigger valves can go in.

$1500 is cheap for parts to rebuild an engine these days.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
Mate, saw someone mention earlier you should change your clutch to a solid instead of a dual mass if it's due, I did and I have regretted it ever since done 50,000 on the damn thing and still hate it, yes it's cheaper but I wouldn't do it again, the dual mass is much smoother and forgiving.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Mine blew at 250000, brought it blown. done 20000ks in the past 12 months no problems at all, blocked EGR and done dawes - needle valve all at the same time...

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geeyoutoo, what kit was fitted, makes it hard doesnt it, some say they are fine other get vibration, wonder if some kits are balanced better than others?
I will see waht mine is like when I pull it down, be interesting as I have done a heap of towing.
Zappa

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
Geeyoutoo, what kit was fitted, makes it hard doesnt it, some say they are fine other get vibration, wonder if some kits are balanced better than others?
I will see waht mine is like when I pull it down, be interesting as I have done a heap of towing.
Zappa
Hi Zappa,
Not sure what clutch kit it was, when my troll detonated (50,000 ago) the dealer was very supportive and we did a deal on the rebuild (Nissan came to the party), seeing as the engine was out and the clutch was close to life expectancy I told him to do that as well, he gave me a choice of the genuine DMF or a solid, when I asked him what he thought the difference would be he indicated there may be some vibration and that he fitted many with only one complaint.

I have a vibration at low revs, whereas previously (being a bit lazy) I could drop revs and go around certain corners easily without changing, just feathering the throttle, when I do that now I get a vibration, it's more annoying now because with the work I have done I have much more torque.

So if I had the choice again I would go DMF. I also do a lot of towing, a 5.5m half cab and an off road Camper with rack and tinnie (but not both at the same time :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
I just had mine rebuilt. Genuine pistons thou.

For clutch i replaced mine with a solid from Clutch Industries. Its the 4 Terrain clutch and flywheel replacement kit. No vibrations and feels much better then the standard DMF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts