Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My patrol got a solid flywheel and h/d clutch installed a week ago and a I happy with how it goes but just a little concerned about the extra engine vibration at highway speeds, around town it's great but while on the high way there is a bit more engine vibration, I have searched and got mixed answers about how much vibration a solid flywheel should create, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Thats why they have the dual mass wheel from factory... to damp out bad vibes.

It will probably be hard to judge what you are experiencing over the 'net. What is acceptable or expected by one person can be hard to describe to another.

If it was a reputable mob who did it get them to check it again on a road test maybe?

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a well known place that did it so maybe I'll get them to take it's for a spin on the highway

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
I have the Exedy flywheel and h.d clutch. The only vibration i get is at low revs in 2nd or 3rd gear lugging. I couldnt be happier. its a shame your having issues

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its probably normal I only had the car for a short while and it's my first diesel so not used the the diesel vibrations anyway

·
Registered
346 Posts
Chnage out Dual mass flywheels.

My patrol got a solid flywheel and h/d clutch installed a week ago and a I happy with how it goes but just a little concerned about the extra engine vibration at highway speeds, around town it's great but while on the high way there is a bit more engine vibration, I have searched and got mixed answers about how much vibration a solid flywheel should create, thanks for any input.
It's too bad you didn't do more research on this site on this matter, as it's dealt with in depth on many occasions.
I would council to ALWAYS REPLACE your dual mass flywheel with ORIGINAL parts.
The reason I say this, is because I was talked out of doing this, when it became neccessary to replace my clutch, I was told a solid flywheel would be better.
But no one explained to me, what it'd be better for.
I allowed the so called 'experts' to convince me to go down the sloid road much to my REGRET.
YES, there IS vibration there, and YES, the whole purpose of the dual mass wheel is to ABSORB such vibration in the first place, there's also back lash from the wheels when changing down, all normaly absorbed by the dual mass flywheel.

So, would I replace the flywheel again with the ORIGINAL DUAL MASS set up ?
In a heartbeat :punkrock: course it depends on what sort of ride you want, and how many pennies youve got.
I seriously doubt very much, that the guys who fitted it can do much about it.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
^^ what you say is correct, but if you increase the engine performance from stock then the dual mass flywheel will fail.

So you get more power out of the car, then you smash the springs in the dual mass flywheel. Then you put a suitably rated clutch in. You put a dual mass flywheel back in you'll smash it again and again unless you reduce your power back to stock levels.

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess i will get used to the extra drive train noise thanks for the imput

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it the the transmission shop and the guy drove it and said nothing to wory about except maybe a tiny bit of driveshaft vibration cause by the suspension lift

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Solid flywheels are crap,to much vibration,fitted one to my 2004 3L and hate it,tryed to save money $1100 solid $1800 dual mass

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I know its a normal noise for a solid flywheel it doesn't seem so bad so I'm pretty happy with it

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Just had 4terrain clutch and solid flywheel fitted to my 2004 zd30, and it is great, good feel no noise or vibration even at low revs, those standard DMFs are crap and will always fail well before a solid one, it is just another problem that has arrisen in the patrol zd30, and if you tow, well a DMF will fail quicker.

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Has anyone thought to machine down the new steel one piece flywheel to make it lighter and give the engine better performance.

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Has anyone thought to machine down the new one piece steel flywheel to make it lighter and give the engine better performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts