Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday,
I was hoping for a bit of advice on the easiest way to hook up the tachometer.
The plan was to use the sensor on the TD42 with the tachometer in my ZD30 instrument cluster. But I heard somewhere that you need to swap the tachometer to one from a TD42?
Another way to go I heard is to use the sensor off the ZD30 and then make new markings on the crank shaft pulley.

What is the "best" solution?

Thanks

Dane

·
Registered
184 Posts
hi, dane! was wondering if you've already figured out a way with the td42 tachometer? i'm in the stages of swapping out my 2001 zd30 to a td42 n/a. and maybe turbo it in the future.

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Interested in the solution also. PolarBear has reported that his ZD30 tacho is a bit out with the TD42TI transplant motor. My TD42TI transplant is going in at the moment, so advice on a simple (if there is one) solution would be most welcome. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im also keen to see how it was sorted out..... Is the signal coming from the TD42 different to what comes in the ZD30 and if so is there anyway to convert it to match..... Or would it be easier to fit an after market tach....

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
An electric tacho is essentially, just a volt meter. The voltage it reads increases when the pulse rate increases. The pulse can come from a crankangle sensor or hall effect generator, which wouldn’t be too hard to set up, but electric tacho’s are cylinder number sensitive, so unless you can calibrate it from a 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder, it won’t be accurate. A tacho from a RD28 Patrol may be an easier option.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
49 Posts
I have got my local auto sparkey to fit a wire off one of the diodes in the alternator to supply the pulse and am getting a VDO diesel specific aftermarket tacho for my zd30 to TD42T conversion. While the alt is apart for the wire I got a new set of bearings fitted as well to save on the labour cost of doing it later. All I had to supply the sparkey with was the pulley dimentions to calerbrate the tacho for the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't have time to fix the tachometer before this years trip to Iceland.
We got the sensor from the fuel pump wheel wired into the dash board, but it seems that we THOUGHT we had a TD42 cluster, but it probably isn't as it isn't working.
I want the tacho to be in the original cluster, not a aftermarket tacho. So I need to get hold af af TD42 cluster somewhere. Does anyone have one for sale (for a GU)? Alternatively we will have to make new markings on the crank shaft pulley and then use the ZD30 hall sensor.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
As MikeP said above ... since the transplant my tacho reads about 250-300rpm below true.
At idle it shows about 550rpm
At first it bothered me and I spoke with the mechanic about fixing it, I also opened up the cluster with the idea that I might be able to take off the needle and reposition it so it showed 300rpm more (hope that makes sense) unfortunately it wouldn't budge I wasn't prepared to risk breaking anything so I put it back together.
That was about 2 months ago and I have come to the realisation that I change gear based on engine note and having the tacho out is not bothering me at all and 300rom is not much anyway. If there is a relatively easy fix I would do it, otherwise Im not sure I would bother anymore.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
It's a pulse count, moving the needle will just give an offset that will be ok at one speed but the error will increase with revs. A cluster out of a RD28 GU/Y61 must be the way to go as they are common as in Europe Dane. Have you looked inside the cluster you have, there isn't something as simple as a switch is there (no not possible, it's a Nissan !), but worth a look. It's possible that the rev counter in the Y61 cluster is processor driven, so a bit of code change could have it sorted (not easy, but it could be an option on the Nissan workshop computer ?). Another thing you could look at is getting someone to make you up a simple pulse divider, you need to loose every 3rd pulse. Or get a pulse generator on the alternator, or how about this, fit a hall effect sensor and magnets to the crank pulley ? What about a gauge pod and after-market rev counter ? A few options for you.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tracteur Tom, don't think there is a switch. It looks like this (tachometer removed). It's from a UK Y61.

There is a little PCB under the speedometer but I didn't see any switches.
But I might try to chase up af TD-6 cluster as you suggest. And I have a friend who has mentioned the same as you: to convert/change the pulse. I would like to avoid using after market gauge.
First however is to sort out the oil consumption problem :)

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Dane, would it be possible to fit a Y60 rev-counter into that housing ? Post pics of the one you've took out and I'll have a look at mine - you never know. and wow 180MPH speedo - must be from a twin turbo 4.8 !

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a picture of the rear side but from the front it looks like this

LOL the speedo must be recalibrated for MPH I guess...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts