Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
GU 3L '03
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to remove the cam sprocket. I removed the chain tensioner but then decided it wasn't in the right position so I turned the crank shaft. I'm paranoid that I made the chain jump teeth without the tensioner. It did go tight and slack but now I'm not sure if it jumped or not.

The problem is the alignment doesn't look exactly like the manual. It looks like it would be if it was a tooth back.

Also, I can't get the sprocket bolt off. Can I remove the brackets for the cam shaft and leave the sprocket on? It looks like it will come off easy enough like that.

Here's the manual:

Here's how it looks with the crank shaft aligned but the cam sprocket slightly off.

Cam sprocket:

Fuel injection pump:

·
Registered
GU 3L '03
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking about it with my limited knowledge. If I have the crank shaft timing correct and the fuel injector pump gear aligned c & cc then I'm good to go right? The timing chain affects the cam shaft only?

Trying to pull the head off. Learning slowly.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Pulling it apart isn't that critical except if your removing the IP in which case you must lock the scissor gear before you take the IP sprocket off, aligning all the timing marks when removing can take 1 turn or over a hundred turns so the critical thing is that when you remove the chain some valves will be open so if you wind the bottom end over pistons can hit valves, if you taking the head off then no need to wind bottom end over. When you putting it all back together is when the timing becomes critical.

It is nice to have it at TDC on #1 and CC's etc lined up when pulling it apart but not really important, locking the scissor gear is the critical one if your removing gears. I replaced the head on mine last year, did a bit of a writeup in my build thread, link in signature, index first post.

·
Registered
GU 3L '03
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much. I just spent an hour reading over your threads :) I never got to know the ins and outs like you have. I know all about the yacht though. Never enough time in life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts