Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,
First post and unfortunately for me not one I wanted to start off my Patrol forum foray.

I made a big NOOB mistake (I think) the 2001 3.0 fuel injection pump failed, so I bought a reco and decided to fit it myself. Did I read the manual first? - no way I'm too good for that, DOH. I didn't set TDC, I didn't lock the idler gear.

The bottom half off the engine was only disassembled to get the pump in and out, the timing chain was of course removed. When I went to put it back together I realised my mistake.

I have now taken the cam shafts out so that if I move the crank I dont damage valves etc.

I have been trying to set up the bottom half, but I don't seem to be able to get the cc marks where they should be so that the pump lines up at TDC and at the same time line up the bolt hole on the idler gear (to lock it). I have read that it can take upto 50 turns of the crank?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Welcome Bob,
there are a few fuel injecton gurus on the forum so be patient and they may come to the rescue with the correct advice.

Where are you located? That might help if any others are in the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
nissan
174 Posts
I didnt lock the idler gear on mine the first time I did it, I ended up pulling the whole front cover off , took the idler gear off, made a tool to tension it back up and lock it into place then put it all back together from there, i dont really think there is any other way

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnx Kull3n,
I was thinking I would have to take the front cover off. How did you stop the crank from turning to take the crankshaft pulley off?
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
778 Posts
The timing gear that isnt locked needs to be. Getting the front cover off, is determined by how easy the sump is to get off. Some sump bolts can't be got to without shifting the gear box back. If your vehicle is manual, put in 5th gear, hard on brakes, long lever on crank bolt and undo it, or a 3/4 impact gun. If auto, get to the torque converter bolts and work out how to hold it. It can take a lot of turns before the crank gears line up, they are called a semi hunting gear set.

Then read all the manual on how to do this. If at any stage its too much, stop and let someone who knows how to fix this do it for you. It will only cost you more money otherwise.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts