Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been a while since Iv Posted on here but I'm back!

So I have blown my turbo on my zd30, and looking to upgrade and I'm wondering what turbos will fit? I was thinking the HT-18 off a Navara zd30 because it has the conventional wastegate witch is what I'm looking to upgrade to.

Any other suggestions let me know, cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HT-12 I mean***

·
Registered
nissan
51 Posts
Just replace it like for like,
VNT provides better spool than a conventional turbo and unless you plan to run massive boot the existing turbo is big enough to provide the required air.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
940 Posts
VNT provides better spool than a conventional turbo and unless you plan to run massive boot the existing turbo is big enough to provide the required air.
that's right!
boost controller will help you avoid problems

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts

What he said, they aint that bad. Ive researched Turbbbs for a few weeks a while back.

My conclusion is, dont fark with it. They do a good job and boost more than plenty for what we want and need. Get another Nissan VNT and boost off into the sunset.

What was the terminal exit of the turbo bud? what happened? a bit of detail for future reference.

cheers

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
I used to drive a Navara with ZD30 turbo. OMG what a gutless pice of crap it was compared to the Patrol ZD30Di with the VNT and intercooler. I really could not believe they were the same 3L motor.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Stick with the VNT arrangement, without going to a heap of expense you won't get better, The Navara unit would be a backward step, does not have the response of the genuine VNT arrangement, small turbo with a big heart.

Now when looking for a replacement, do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions, one of our members did an ebay replacement and he spent months trying to sort many issues without success, when it comes to adjusting the VNT grub screw as well as the VNT rod to get above 8psi boost, that is all bad news.

What year is yours? is it water cooled or air cooled (they both have oil circulation)? If it is water cooled I would stay with water cooled (water and air cooled are interchangeable with a bit of blocking) as I personally believe water cooled has a higher efficiency rate.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
a few people have fitted the narvara turbo, but it causes the error light to come on. the ecu doesn't like the difference in air flows.
its a lot of work changing manifolds, exhaust, intake etc to make it fit for no real gain. better to fit VNT and sort the control system out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where is the best place to buy a replacement turbo from? I'm guessing Nissan charge more than they should?

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
I got mine repaired at a place called Mr Turbo on the Gold Coast, did a good job and set it up well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts