Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving to work this morning all of a sudden I had the water in fuel light, sub tank light, battery light and handbrake light come on at the same time. Shortly after the car started ‘overheating’ when I accelerated even lightly, it would cool down quickly when not.

Its continued to run fine the remainder of the short distance to work with no other noticeable issues.
Coolant level is unchanged since checking it just a few days ago. Not smoke or anything else visible.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,340 Posts
Might help if we knew what you were driving. 🤔 Add a few details about and mods, conditions etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2009 GU Patrol. Stock ZD30 Engine.
185000km and serviced only about 2500km ago. Mechanic mention fuel filter was a little dirty but suggested leaving it till the next service.
Air filter was changed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The lights all coming on at once might be the alternator giving up...had similar happen where a bunch of random lights came on at once

·
Registered
704 Posts
Did the car actually overheat or are you going by the guage ? it may have also gone crazy if the alternator has s*** itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could this affect the engine coolant temperature reading? As in give a false reading?
Vehicle has never overheated since Ive owned it, whether pushing up long hills or 4wd.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,340 Posts
Sometimes these are earth issues.

Reactions: Mikek995 and 45/70

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,185 Posts
High Mike..
You need to grab a scan tool and have a look at what faults popped up and go from there..
Cant work out why mechanic would check tthe fuel filter..Tell you its a bit dirty, then tell you to do another 10k on it..
Might be time for a new mechanic.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'd be getting the alternator checked first, then if that's ok look for bad earth - I would wait until lights are sorted out then take car for a drive and see if it is overheating (check under the bonnet ) ------ I see your new to this forum so don't know how much you know about Patrols - but adding an extra earth lead from body to chassis would be good, Nissan's are known for having s*** earth leads.....let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be getting the alternator checked first, then if that's ok look for bad earth - I would wait until lights are sorted out then take car for a drive and see if it is overheating (check under the bonnet ) ------ I see your new to this forum so don't know how much you know about Patrols - but adding an extra earth lead from body to chassis would be good, Nissan's are known for having s*** earth leads.....let us know how things turn out.
Thanks, Fingers crossed its the Alternator, heard a bit of a rattle for less than a minute before the lights came on. Barely had time to figure out if I was just hearing things or not. So possibly a bearing in the alternator has failed and then caused the different warning lights.
Only had the car for a couple months. Forum helped in locating a passenger side water leak after it rained heavy just after I got it. Hopefully not too much of regular visitor…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So have just finished work and it was my first chance in the daylight to have a look. The obvious thing should have been to check the drive belt. Its worn down and slipped off the various pulleys explaining the alternator failing and assume some of the warning lights. So the cooling fan isnt running either and this should explain the overheating.
If anyone can shed futher light on this, I have basic understanding of cars but the more I can learn the better. Bit disappointed, i thought this would be something the mechanic would pick up on when servicing the car just 2000km ago. Anyway that aside next worry is after the belts replaced could this have caused any futher damage to the car?

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,185 Posts
Grab a new belt mate and check the tensioner is ok..Check coolant level..
Take it for a run and make sure all is well,
Then get that new mechanic.
Good luck.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,153 Posts
How old was your belt ?
make also sure the alternator free wheel pulley is ok before putting a new belt in. it should turn one way, and not the other. if it seized, it could also explain why the belt slept off.
If the belt is not broken, it shouldn't have slept - > check tensioner as said above and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
704 Posts
As long as the car wasn't driven for to long or pushed hard she should be ok, but the only way to really know is to replace the belt and see how she goes... As far as learning more goes, there is a ton of information on this site - just pick what part of the car you want to learn about and start reading....I also agree with 45/70 start looking for a new mechanic, the belt is a very basic thing to check when servicing a car and to say leave a dirty fuel filter on a diesel motor is just wrong.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2 Posts
I'd nearly bet it's an earthing problem. Some temp gauges work on resistance to earth. For example, as the temp goes up, so does the resistance.
That would at least explain the momentary high temp if it was caused by a loose or crappy (high resistance) connection.
I think that would also explain the fuel tank lights, in that as the fuel level drops, the resistance in the earth return, causes the light to indicate empty.

I'd be looking for a loose body/chassis/battery earth.

It's a bit like when you have a bad earth on a trailer, all the lights go haywire, going dull and blinking when they shouldn't.

You might be able to induce the fault, by going for a drive using lots of load, ie; hi beam on, a/c on etc. etc. If you have an intermittent earth fault, that might help narrow it down.

Cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How old was your belt ?
make also sure the alternator free wheel pulley is ok before putting a new belt in. it should turn one way, and not the other. if it seized, it could also explain why the belt slept off.
If the belt is not broken, it shouldn't have slept - > check tensioner as said above and replace if necessary.
Bollocks on the free wheel ( overrun) pulley and the belt slipping off,
Have run a solid pulley for a long time. No issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tensioner had failed and let go of the belt.
Ive replaced the belt and tensioner and the cars fine. Bit of belt had really wrapped itself around the water pump which took a bit to get off.
The tensioner that was on there was the budget one and looked hold as. But also couldve been from 4wd last weekend, went through a few fairly deep puddles.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts