Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a ZD30ddi patrol which is giving me some grief.
I can start the car and drive it for a minute or two but then the car warms up then I believe it misfires and blows a lot of smoke out the exhaust. I checked the fault code thing with the engine light and i get 1405.
I went to a mechanic and told him what's happening and he said he believes the EGR gasses are blowing on the Injector pump and fired the Computer on the injector pump.
Has anyone else had this Issue or could help me out??

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
The code you are getting is one of the NATS codes, but what your experiencing doesn't sound like a NATS fault, I would clear the code and see what returns, give us all the clues you can and a bit of history. Here is a list of common codes.
0101 - CAM POS SEN (PUMP)
0102 - MAS AIR FLOW SEN
0103 - COOLANT TEMP SEN
0104 - VEHICLE SPEED SEN
0105 - CONT SLEEV POS SEN
0107 - ADJUST RESISTOR
0108 - F/INJ F/B 2
0201 - F/INJ TIMG F/B
0202 - F/INJ F/B
0203 - ACCEL POS SW (F/C)
0205 - ELECTRIC GOV
0207 - ECM 1
0208 - OVER HEAT
0301 - ECM 2
0303 - I/C INT/A TEMP SEN
0304 - NEEDLE LIFT SEN
0306 - FUEL CUT S/V 1
0307 - FCV SHORT
0308 - FUEL CUT S/V 2
0402 - FUEL TEMP SENSOR
0403 - ACCEL POS SENSOR EC-139
0406 - INT/AIR VOLUME (EXCESSIVELY HIGH SIGNAL FROM MAF SENSOR)
0407 - CRANK POS SEN (TDC) EC-144
0408 - GOV CUT CIRCUIT EC-149
0504 - A/T COMM LINE
0701 - INJ PMP - CAM POS SEN
0702 - INJ PMP - PULSE SENSOR
0703 - INJ PMP - COMM LINE
0704 - INJ PUMP - SPLILL VALVE
0705 - INJ PMP - C/MODULE
0706 - INJ PMP - TIMING FB
0707 - INJPMP - TIMING CONTROL SYSTEM
0802 - ECM 10
0804 - ECM 11
0807 - ECM 14
0902 - ECM RELAY
0903 - ECM 15
0905 - TURBO PRESSURE
1003 - EGR VOLUME CONT/V
1004 - FUEL CUT SYSTEM1
1401 - 1408 — NATS MALFUNCTION EL section

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2001 Patrol GUll zd30ddi
When i brought the car 2 months ago he said it had just been serviced. The only problem it had was it would crank but not start on the odd occasion.
after i brought the car i put a K&N High flow air filter in it and replaced the fuel filter.
The one night i went for a drive and filled it up with diesel and put a bottle of "diesel Injector cleaner" in it. I was driving fine for 2 hours and then it did the "misfire and blow smoke".
Now it continues to do this Misfire thing and runs very ruff.

I just cleared the code and turned the car on it sounded fine.
checked the code again and got 0505 (which i think means There are not faults)
Took it for a drive and it did it again and gave me the same 1405 fault code.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
It is a 2001 Patrol GUll zd30ddi
When i brought the car 2 months ago he said it had just been serviced. The only problem it had was it would crank but not start on the odd occasion.
after i brought the car i put a K&N High flow air filter in it and replaced the fuel filter.
The one night i went for a drive and filled it up with diesel and put a bottle of "diesel Injector cleaner" in it. I was driving fine for 2 hours and then it did the "misfire and blow smoke".
Now it continues to do this Misfire thing and runs very ruff.

I just cleared the code and turned the car on it sounded fine.
checked the code again and got 0505 (which i think means There are not faults)
NATS is all about anti theft and not starting period, so this sounds strange, my first thought was air in the fuel system with the reluctance to start.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Can you put a section of clear hose between fuel filter and fuel pump and check for air bubbles, there may be two separate issues here.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,326 Posts
Out of curiosity asked google and came up with:
Main reason For P1405 Code
The reason of P1405 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction.
P1405 DTCs may also be triggered by faults earlier down the line. For example, a dirty MAF sensor might be causing the car to overcompensate in its fuel-trim adjustments. As a result, oxygen sensors are likely to report fuel mixture problems.

IMO, Could be EGR malfunction (operation/soot build up). First, would suggest removing the MAF sensor and clean it by giving it a good spray with MAF sensor cleaner and let it air dry only.
Note: do not touch internals/resistor. Next could inspect MAF sensor operation by back probing MAF signal wire with multimeter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you put a section of clear hose between fuel filter and fuel pump and check for air bubbles, there may be two separate issues here.
Just put a piece of clear hose in between the fuel filter and the fuel pump and there are no air bubbles passing through the hose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of curiosity asked google and came up with:
Main reason For P1405 Code
The reason of P1405 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction.
P1405 DTCs may also be triggered by faults earlier down the line. For example, a dirty MAF sensor might be causing the car to overcompensate in its fuel-trim adjustments. As a result, oxygen sensors are likely to report fuel mixture problems.

IMO, Could be EGR malfunction (operation/soot build up). First, would suggest removing the MAF sensor and clean it by giving it a good spray with MAF sensor cleaner and let it air dry only.
Note: do not touch internals/resistor. Next could inspect MAF sensor operation by back probing MAF signal wire with multimeter.
Just cleaned the MAF and tested the wiring with a multimeter and i got the right voltage. But the car still does it

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Just put a piece of clear hose in between the fuel filter and the fuel pump and there are no air bubbles passing through the hose
As said earlier 1401-1408 are basically NATS codes, you may need to delve deeper into that, bare in mind the earlier the DI the more basic the ECU programming is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As said earlier 1401-1408 are basically NATS codes, you may need to delve deeper into that, bare in mind the earlier the DI the more basic the ECU programming is.
Yeah, i figured out that 1405 was showing up because i was using a aftermarket key not a nissan key, although the car still misfires and gives the code 0505

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Yeah, i figured out that 1405 was showing up because i was using a aftermarket key not a nissan key, although the car still misfires and gives the code 0505
0505 is 'all good'. OK so no code now and still a miss, now we need more clues.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
877 Posts
if you don't use a genuine nissan key, properly coded and known by your ECU through Consult, you may have problems...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
156 Posts
The code you are getting is one of the NATS codes, but what your experiencing doesn't sound like a NATS fault, I would clear the code and see what returns, give us all the clues you can and a bit of history. Here is a list of common codes.
0101 - CAM POS SEN (PUMP)
0102 - MAS AIR FLOW SEN
0103 - COOLANT TEMP SEN
0104 - VEHICLE SPEED SEN
0105 - CONT SLEEV POS SEN
0107 - ADJUST RESISTOR
0108 - F/INJ F/B 2
0201 - F/INJ TIMG F/B
0202 - F/INJ F/B
0203 - ACCEL POS SW (F/C)
0205 - ELECTRIC GOV
0207 - ECM 1
0208 - OVER HEAT
0301 - ECM 2
0303 - I/C INT/A TEMP SEN
0304 - NEEDLE LIFT SEN
0306 - FUEL CUT S/V 1
0307 - FCV SHORT
0308 - FUEL CUT S/V 2
0402 - FUEL TEMP SENSOR
0403 - ACCEL POS SENSOR EC-139
0406 - INT/AIR VOLUME (EXCESSIVELY HIGH SIGNAL FROM MAF SENSOR)
0407 - CRANK POS SEN (TDC) EC-144
0408 - GOV CUT CIRCUIT EC-149
0504 - A/T COMM LINE
0701 - INJ PMP - CAM POS SEN
0702 - INJ PMP - PULSE SENSOR
0703 - INJ PMP - COMM LINE
0704 - INJ PUMP - SPLILL VALVE
0705 - INJ PMP - C/MODULE
0706 - INJ PMP - TIMING FB
0707 - INJPMP - TIMING CONTROL SYSTEM
0802 - ECM 10
0804 - ECM 11
0807 - ECM 14
0902 - ECM RELAY
0903 - ECM 15
0905 - TURBO PRESSURE
1003 - EGR VOLUME CONT/V
1004 - FUEL CUT SYSTEM1
1401 - 1408 — NATS MALFUNCTION EL section
In getting code 72 I can't find any information on this code. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
In getting code 72 I can't find any information on this code. Any help would be greatly appreciated
On that chart I posted earlier that will be 0702, some devices read codes without the zero's.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Thank you so much. Do you have an idea how bad this is? Or what specifically is the problem?
Tha k you again
This is tricky, some codes can be caused by other little things, ie, 73, pump comm can be caused by the engine not starting within certain timeframe, air in the system can cause that. I would start off by making sure the pump connection plug is clean and making perfect contact on all pins.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
156 Posts
This is tricky, some codes can be caused by other little things, ie, 73, pump comm can be caused by the engine not starting within certain timeframe, air in the system can cause that. I would start off by making sure the pump connection plug is clean and making perfect contact on all pins.
Update.
It's been impossible to fix the issue of code 0702 here is a list of things I've done so far.
Removed the pump and checked it on a bench test by a professional shop and the pump is fine the pump timing is fine the circuit board checked and it's fine.
Serviced the injectors ( changed the tips with original manufacturer ones all four)
Completely checked the wiring harness plus checked all the harness plugs.
Replaced the MAF
Checked engine timing it's spot on chain and gears. ( We opened the front of the engine and checked the position of all the gears and the position of the chain)
And it still running bad.
I have one question will a bad crank angle sensor give me the same 0702 code or does it have it's own code when it goes bad?
I had an electrician check the angle crank censor and he said it's fine but I have my doubt on this.
Pulling my hair out!!!
Any tips or ideas would be really appreciated
one more thing does anyone have the ohm readings for the angle crank sensor so I can re check it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts