Thanks, pleased it was of assistance, contact me anytime.Hi Ross I don't know if you are still on this thread but I would like to thank you for all your hard work in documenting all you have done on you Patrol.
The post was very intrusting.
I would like to be able to talk to you some time. I all so live up sunshine coast and have a TB45 witch is getting a TD 4.2T transplant.
I like you have been doing my home work and reading a lot of forums and asking a lot of people about the rite way to do such a thing.
Even though all your info is related to your 3 letter diesel.
I would think some of what you have dun I could use in my build and I would like to thank you for some of your smaller build/reworks EG the rear door fix to stay open.
Thank you and look for would to chatting to you some time.
Hi Frank, pm @OldMav, if he doesn't know it about the 4.2 then it isn't worth knowing .Hi Ross I am rebuilding My TD42 and i am trying to Build it /set up for towing and i am trying to find out information on Cam.
The motor I have is a TD 42 Silver top New head. Block been cracked tested Crank is standard New Pistons, Sleeves.
We are up grading the Oil Pump to a higher flow (turbo oil pump) So I can turbo the motor.
Do you know anything about the cams or could you recommend some one to talk to about it
Very interesting 🙂New Eclipse Turbo. August 2021
Around 3 weeks ago I fitted the latest Eclipse ERJ500V VNT Turbo. This turbo has a very different compwheel and larger inlet bore compared to the earlier Eclipse I had, a refinement on what was already a great turbo. This is one of those occasions where the fact that a dyno does not tell a complete story jumps right out at you. After fitting the turbo, bedding it in and taking the Trol for a drive, it felt so much stronger and willing down low and revved more freely up high, it felt like torque was coming in a couple of hundred revs earlier. When we put it on the dyno the other day it produced the same Kw and Nm as the last one, head shake and thought, the difference is in responsiveness, instant, which really doesn’t show on a dyno sheet.
Remember mine is the first of the DI’s so very basic in its technology and the original Eclipse raised Kw and Nm by well over 20% on the same dyno. I would expect to see much different results on a CRD with its higher tech ECU, particularly with fueling.
I’ve done a few more drives and it feels amazing, so just shows to go you dyno’s do not always tell the complete story. Heading up to Agnes Waters for a few days on Monday so a good test and check for further enhancements. In the couple of hundred K's I've done so far, cruising AFR went up (leaner) by one point, 102kph cruising on flat road sees a 15c lower EGT and TPS% has lowered by 1-2%.
My old DI has water cooling for the turbo which I have always hung onto but man removing the turbo means taking out battery, battery tray and dismantling half the gear on the passenger side of the engine bay to get the turbo and cooling line from the head past everything, so I had a cunning plan, I cut a few inches from the centre of the coolant feed line from the head to the back of the turbo and joined the two sections with a length of 5/16” power steering hose, now it’s easy peasy to remove turbo and leave battery in situ (my second battery weighs 30Kg, bloody hard for an old man to lift out of the tight cradle).
New Turbo has a different inlet mounting system, easier than the bolt on style like the original Garret and first Eclipse. Had to adapt my pre turbo WM injection to the new inlet pipe.
View attachment 534489
View attachment 534490
View attachment 534485
View attachment 534483
View attachment 534486
View attachment 534492
View attachment 534488
View attachment 534493
View attachment 534494
After, no major changes to induction piping, used same silicone hoses just needed to shorten the ally pipe that the catch can vents to, the turbo inlet bend sits lower.
View attachment 534495
One very interesting point came out of the last test I wanted to do re manual boost control efficiency, I disconnected my electronic turbo control that I’ve had for several years and refitted the manual controller I’d run for many years prior, we didn’t even complete the run, halfway through we were around 12Kw down so we shut it off and put the electronic back. Our old manual boost controllers served us very well for a long time and got us out of a lot of problems (while creating a couple of others ), but things move on, I was actually a little surprised by the magnitude of the result.